Yu Darvish doesn’t think he’s an All-Star

Jun 29, 2012, 9:56 PM EDT

Yu Darvish Reuters

Even though he’s tied for the AL lead in victories with 10, Rangers import Yu Darvish doesn’t feel he’s done enough to represent the league in next month’s All-Star Game.

“But personally do I feel like I’m an All-Star? I don’t think so,” Darvish said through an interpreter Friday. “I’m also hearing that there’s a possibility I might start in an All-Star Game, and to me, that’s totally out of context, I think.”

Since the Rangers went to the World Series last year, Darvish’s manager, Ron Washington, will be in charge of picking the pitching staff. Still, Darvish seems to see the big picture and won’t mind not being picked.

“I think the fact that I’m Japanese, first year over here, the Texas Rangers paid a lot of money for me to come over here,” he said. “The fact that I’m an All-Star candidate, it’s more of a buildup of who I am and where I came from and the media creating this type (of hype).”

Darvish is certainly partly right, but the fact that he is tied for the league lead in wins and fourth in strikeouts would make him an All-Star candidate even if his name was John Smith. Plus, while he has been a bit of a disappointment in the ERA department, he still ranks 16th in the league despite working in a tough park for pitchers.

Still, Darvish certainly seems to mean well here. And by essentially taking himself out of the running, he’s aiding his teammate’s case for a spot: Matt Harrison is 10-3 with a 3.24 ERA, making him deserving of strong consideration.

1. jagsfan11 - Jun 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM

PRICE with 11!!

2. hittfamily - Jun 29, 2012 at 10:31 PM

David Price is the best LHP in baseball. He went head to head with Verlander, and smoked him. Verlander was giving up gopher balls to the worst offense in baseball, and Price was mowing down one of the best!

• surefooted1 - Jun 30, 2012 at 12:11 AM

“Wtf?” – the collective thoughts of CC, Lee, Hamels and Kershaw.

3. lazlosother - Jun 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Dammit, first Harper makes me like him, and now Darvish. What is a crabby, out of touch old man supposed to do?

4. smackingfools - Jun 29, 2012 at 11:59 PM

His guy is something special. He’s humble and wants nothing handed to him. He pays attention to every single thing said about him and if it’s negative his goal is to prove them wrong. And if it’s positive he never lets it get to his head.

5. ndnut - Jun 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM

He’s an all star, but not a starter.

6. chill1184 - Jun 30, 2012 at 1:31 AM

MLB needs more players like Darvish, no over inflated ego just a guy who wants to help his team win.

7. Glen - Jun 30, 2012 at 10:15 AM

So wins are the most important factor in determining an AS pitcher?

8. alleagles20 - Jun 30, 2012 at 3:00 PM

How can you write an entire article on the guy and not give his #’s?? Are you trying to make me look them up myself?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5457)