Jun 30, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: McCutchen told Sanserino after the game that he doesn’t anticipate missing any time.
5:30 PM: Cross your fingers, Pirates fans.
McCutchen injured the wrist while making a diving catch to rob Carlos Beltran of a hit in the bottom of the third inning. He stayed in the game initially, taking two more at-bats, but was replaced in center field by Alex Presley in the bottom of the seventh inning. He’s currently being treated and evaluated, after which the Pirates will announce an update on his status.
McCutchen went 2-for-4 with a run scored this afternoon and is hitting .346/.401/.593 with 15 homers, 51 RBI, 14 stolen bases and a .993 OPS through 74 games this season. It goes without saying, but the Pirates would have a really tough time staying afloat in the playoff race if he requires an extended absence.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 16
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)