Jun 30, 2012, 5:30 PM EST
UPDATE: McCutchen told Sanserino after the game that he doesn’t anticipate missing any time.
5:30 PM: Cross your fingers, Pirates fans.
McCutchen injured the wrist while making a diving catch to rob Carlos Beltran of a hit in the bottom of the third inning. He stayed in the game initially, taking two more at-bats, but was replaced in center field by Alex Presley in the bottom of the seventh inning. He’s currently being treated and evaluated, after which the Pirates will announce an update on his status.
McCutchen went 2-for-4 with a run scored this afternoon and is hitting .346/.401/.593 with 15 homers, 51 RBI, 14 stolen bases and a .993 OPS through 74 games this season. It goes without saying, but the Pirates would have a really tough time staying afloat in the playoff race if he requires an extended absence.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 103
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 9
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 28
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 34
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (115)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)