Jun 30, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: McCutchen told Sanserino after the game that he doesn’t anticipate missing any time.
5:30 PM: Cross your fingers, Pirates fans.
McCutchen injured the wrist while making a diving catch to rob Carlos Beltran of a hit in the bottom of the third inning. He stayed in the game initially, taking two more at-bats, but was replaced in center field by Alex Presley in the bottom of the seventh inning. He’s currently being treated and evaluated, after which the Pirates will announce an update on his status.
McCutchen went 2-for-4 with a run scored this afternoon and is hitting .346/.401/.593 with 15 homers, 51 RBI, 14 stolen bases and a .993 OPS through 74 games this season. It goes without saying, but the Pirates would have a really tough time staying afloat in the playoff race if he requires an extended absence.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)