Jun 30, 2012, 10:43 AM EDT
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Chisenhall will undergo surgery next week to repair the fracture while Indians manager Manny Acta estimates that he’ll likely be sidelined for four to six weeks.
Considered by many as the Indians’ third baseman of the future, Chisenhall was mostly filling in at the DH spot recently with Travis Hafner sidelined. The 23-year-old was hitting .278/.297/.458 with three home runs, nine RBI and a .756 OPS over 74 plate appearances since his recall from Triple-A Columbus last month.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45