Jun 30, 2012, 5:48 PM EDT
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com has the scoop:
According to a baseball source, the Phillies are in serious talks with the Baltimore Orioles about a potential trade involving Jim Thome.
The Orioles are in the market for a designated hitter and the Phillies are willing to deal Thome to a club where he could fill that role.
Thome is still the Phillies down in Miami, but that could change at some point in the very near future.
The 41-year-old has posted a .242/.338/.516 batting line, five home runs and 15 RBI in 71 plate appearances this season. He would serve as a part-time designated hitter for Baltimore if a deal can be worked out.
UPDATE, 5:51 PM: Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun has confirmed through a source that a trade is indeed close and says the Phillies will likely be receiving “minor-leaguers” in return from the O’s.
UPDATE, 6:04 PM: FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that a trade has been agreed upon. It will be announced after the Phillies and Orioles complete the games they’re currently in the midst of playing.
UPDATE, 6:28 PM: According to Rosenthal, the Phils will get right-hander Kyle Simon and catcher Gabriel Lino in return from the O’s. Simon, 21, was a fourth-round selection in 2011. He has a 3.96 ERA in 72 2/3 innings this season at Single-A. Lino, 19, is batting .218/.282/.340 in 56 games — also at the Single-A level.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)