Jun 30, 2012, 5:48 PM EDT
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com has the scoop:
According to a baseball source, the Phillies are in serious talks with the Baltimore Orioles about a potential trade involving Jim Thome.
The Orioles are in the market for a designated hitter and the Phillies are willing to deal Thome to a club where he could fill that role.
Thome is still the Phillies down in Miami, but that could change at some point in the very near future.
The 41-year-old has posted a .242/.338/.516 batting line, five home runs and 15 RBI in 71 plate appearances this season. He would serve as a part-time designated hitter for Baltimore if a deal can be worked out.
UPDATE, 5:51 PM: Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun has confirmed through a source that a trade is indeed close and says the Phillies will likely be receiving “minor-leaguers” in return from the O’s.
UPDATE, 6:04 PM: FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that a trade has been agreed upon. It will be announced after the Phillies and Orioles complete the games they’re currently in the midst of playing.
UPDATE, 6:28 PM: According to Rosenthal, the Phils will get right-hander Kyle Simon and catcher Gabriel Lino in return from the O’s. Simon, 21, was a fourth-round selection in 2011. He has a 3.96 ERA in 72 2/3 innings this season at Single-A. Lino, 19, is batting .218/.282/.340 in 56 games — also at the Single-A level.
- Triples Machine: After a decade in the minors Royals rookie Paulo Orlando is demolishing triples records 5
- What Bryan Price’s rant was really all about 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 30
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 9
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 69
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)