Stephen Strasburg exits start with heat-induced dehydration

Jun 30, 2012, 9:16 PM EDT

strasburg getty Getty Images

It was a scorching Saturday afternoon in most parts of the United States. And it was especially hot in Atlanta, where the first-place Nationals and ace Stephen Strasburg fell 7-5 to the Braves.

Strasburg made it through just three innings, exiting before the bottom of the fourth due to dehydration brought on by record 106-degree temperatures and poor all-around air quality in northwest Georgia.

The 23-year-old right-hander wound up allowing three earned runs on four walks and two hits. He spoke to CSNWashington.com’s Mark Zuckerman after the loss was wrapped up:

Strasburg still has a sparkling 2.81 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and 122/27 K/BB ratio in 93 innings this season.

1. sknut - Jun 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM

It seems the heat is the only thing that can stop Strausburg this year.

2. ugglasforearms - Jun 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I’m a Braves fan, but I felt for the guy. I felt for everyone out there today, it was brutal. I hope they’re all ok.

3. chill1184 - Jun 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Hope the kid is ok, you hate to see good players (even division rivals) go down like that

4. Old Gator - Jul 1, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Is there something wrong with MLB that they can’t read a fucking weather forecast and move a game from afternoon to evening to avoid this kind of thing? Are they waiting for a ballplayer or two to be seriously injured by heat prostration or stroke before they get their heads out of their apparently air-conditioned asses and implement a policy to protect their ballplayers?

• natslady - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:29 AM

Amanda Comak ‏@acomak
      This game was at 4 because of the FOX exclusive window after 7 p.m. Braves writers say otherwise they never play Saturday day games here.

• Old Gator - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Screw Faux. Is Fox – or any network – worth getting sick and possibly worse for? Then treat the situation like a rainout and cancel the damned game.

• natslady - Jul 1, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Maybe they could start the game and then have a three-hour “heat-delay” to get around the blackout.

• mrwillie - Jul 1, 2012 at 11:06 AM

They probably did look at the weather map. I live not all that far from Atlanta, and it was above 100 degrees well past 8pm last night. I’m all for player safety as well, but moving the game time would have made a negligible difference in the temps this weekend. It’s just plain hot, welcome to playing baseball in the south.

100 degree on field temps is nothing new. It just makes the news when it gets this hot in the Northeast. Business as usual down here.

• natstowngreg - Jul 1, 2012 at 11:30 AM

This is true, as it is in Washington and Cincinnati and St. Louis. The Nation’s Capital was 100-ish the past couple of days. Not normal, and neither is 106 in Atlanta. The Nats’ TVcast showed a field temperature between 115 and 120.

Gee, they played at a bad time because of TV. Surprise! Same as when TV gets teams to play in the cold and wet in April and October. Money trumps player and fan safety.

5. randygnyc - Jul 1, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Gator is right, except its not just the players, but fans too. I was at the twins/whit sox game on Wednesday afternoon. It was only mid 90’s in Minnesota, but the police officer I spoke with told me they had removed three fans who had fainted from the heat. And these temps are mild compared to the 105-6 degrees with high humidity.

I was scratching my head today after hearing Joe Magrane question Strausburgs dedication after leaving the game early. It felt similar to hearing how players feel peer/media pressure to play after injuries.

• natstowngreg - Jul 1, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Having grown up in Upstate New York, where 90 degrees made headlines, I can understand the problem Minnesotans would have at 95.

6. cleverbob - Jul 1, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Blue should have lent him a cabbage leaf

• Bryz - Jul 1, 2012 at 1:55 AM

I love how this sounds absurd and makes sense at the same time.

7. aceshigh11 - Jul 1, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Is there any provision in MLB

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3324)