The Mets called the Padres about Huston Street

Jun 30, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT

Huston Street Getty Getty Images

The Mets will enter play this evening with a major-league worst 5.00 ERA out of their bullpen, but as long as they hang around in the playoff race, we should probably get used to them being connected to every relief pitcher on the market.

According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, the Mets recently called the Padres to inquire about closer Huston Street. With the Padres sitting in last place in the National League West, Street is a logical candidate to be moved in advance of the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.

New York would be an interesting destination for Street, as he previously called current Mets bench coach and former Athletics manager Bob Geren “my least favorite person I have ever encountered in sports from age 6 to 27.” But their history shouldn’t stand in the way of a potential deal.

Street, 28, has a 1.42 ERA and 24/6 K/BB ratio over 19 innings this season and is a perfect 11-for-11 in save opportunities. He is still owed roughly half of his $7.5 million salary for this season while his contract includes a $500,000 buyout on a $9 million mutual option for 2013.

There’s nothing to indicate that a deal is close and other names figure to come up in the days ahead, including Oakland’s Grant Balfour and Houston’s Brett Myers.

1. stex52 - Jun 30, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I’m not a huge myers fan, but if the Astros let him go now they will be poised to grab the title of worst bullpen in the MLB.

2. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Jun 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM

As a Mets fan and as someone not terribly impressed with the save statistic, first reaction was “of course they are”.

Then Bob Geren caught my eye. I read baseball news every day. How could the mutts hiring Geren slip by BBB? But alas, it’s true, and it did. So knowing nothing about Mr. Geren other than H.S.’s comments last year, I ventured to Wikipedia, where I discovered:

Bob was in the minor leagues for 10 years. Of course he was.
    His best season as a major leaguer came when he hit .213
    In 2007 he managed the A’s to their first losing season since 1998.

I think I’m going to start rooting for the Royals or something.

3. icanspeel - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I have a feeling the Padres won’t trade anyone until their sale goes through just in case the new owners want to keep a player. Street is having a great year and there is a team option for 9 mill next year, so he at least has some value and potential future with the team if they choose.

• garylanglais - Jul 1, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I think Street being traded to someone by July 31st is an absolute certainty.

The way the new CBA is set up, that 9m club option allows a team trading for Street to possibly acquire draft picks for him after the ’13 season. Street’s new team could pick up that option (which is reasonable if he is the closer) and then offer him the 1-year tender required under new CBA. It’s likely Street would decline that offer, hit the market and take the extra years and greater total value of the contract

4. bbk1000 - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:45 PM

The Mets could use some help in the pen, they would have quite a few more wins by now….

I can’t believe Street is only 28 years old, seems like he has been around forever….

5. thedudabides - Jun 30, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Baseball Beer Burritos… What does Gerens career statistics have anything to do with the way he coaches?Usually, the players with worse stats end up being the best coaches. I just don’t see the point of your post, go root for the Royals.

6. thedudabides - Jun 30, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Baseball Beer Burritos… What does Gerens career stats have anything to do with this article, or they way he coaches? Usually, the players with worse career stats end up being the better coaches/ managers. I don’t see the point of your post, and you don’t sound like a real Met fan, go root for the Royals.

7. kappy32 - Jul 1, 2012 at 12:38 AM

The Mets have money to spend, finally, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they land 2 relievers out of Street, Balfour & Myers. I believe you will see them land Street & Myers with Daniel Murphy going to the Padres, and a low level prospect going to the Astros. The Astros are in a similar position the Mets were in last year with K-Rod; Myers has a vesting option after 55 games finished. The Astros are going to move him as a salary dump & the Mets will use him as an 8th inning guy or even throw him back in the rotation once Gee starts crapping the bed again. Street, on the other hand, is going to command a good player & the Mets can afford to do without Murphy, even though he is one of my favorites. Street will automatically take over Frank Francisco’s closer role, a 5.00 ERA closer won’t cut it, and I expect the Mets to pick up the $9 million option for Street in 2013. This team has shown they deserve to have management invest in them & I believe they’ll be very active at this deadline looking for the aforementioned relievers & a right handed OF bat. In addition to Myers & Street, I expect them to be serious players for Michael Cuddyer of the Rockies. Lucas Duda isn’t cutting it in RF, and Jason Bay is going to play because of his salary, so Duda may be looking at a move to a platoon role with Bay or just as a LH pinch hitter. Mets fans love Duda, but they need to be realistic here. The guy is hitting in the .240-.260 range with only 10 HR, along with terrible defense. Duda’s meager offensive production doesn’t warrant him having a starting job when comparing his offense to his defense. Adding Cuddyer with a couple solid relievers could really put this team over the top & I can’t believe it because I was really down on this team this year.

8. thedudabides - Jul 1, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Duda is on pace to hit 23 HR and drive in 90. He’s wont become a platoon player or a lefty off the bench. He’s their RF. I don’t think they’re going to be players at all for a right handed bat, I think they are just going to hold on to the hope that Bay can give them something when he returns. As you said he’s getting too much money to be on the bench. I also think that there’s a possibility they part ways with Murphy for help in the bullpen. But there’s not a chance in hell Duda becomes a bench player this year. It’s his first full season in RF give him time, this whole year was supposed to be a “learning” year, nobody expected this, so they still have to work with him. I think they’ll land Myers, and sign Lidge. Then bring up Mejia, and maybe Beato.

9. maximusprime107 - Jul 1, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Just another Rockies pitcher who has a good season after leaving Colorado. They dump Street for their closer who they have now who was supposed to be great and he’s stinking it up

10. exibitsman - Jul 1, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I this think the amazings Mets will go after padre’s Hudson streets and call
    Up Jeremy Mejia

All the trade deadline news to know