Jun 30, 2012, 2:05 PM EST
Daniel Bard is now committed to being a relief pitcher, but we may not see him back in the majors in the near future.
Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal brings word that Bard issued three walks and hit a batter while recording just one out last night with Triple-A Pawtucket. He threw just nine out of his 26 pitches for strikes and two of the walks forced in runs with the bases loaded.
No surprise here, but PawSox manager Arnie Beyeler believes Bard’s inability to find the strike zone is rooted in mechanical issues.
“He just doesn’t feel it, I guess. He just can’t repeat with consistency, which is why he’s here, and then you see the wheel start spinning and things kind of snowball. That’s the whole deal — trying to get that feel and that consistency to try to repeat.”
Bard began the season in the Red Sox starting rotation, but he was demoted last month after posting a 5.24 ERA and 34/37 K/BB ratio in 55 innings. Over nine appearances with Triple-A Pawtucket, the 27-year-old right-hander has a 7.15 ERA, eight walks, four hit batsman and three wild pitches in 11 1/3 innings pitched. Yikes.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (129)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)