Jul 1, 2012, 2:03 PM EST
Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen appeared to injure his left wrist while making a diving catch on a Carlos Beltran line drive early in Saturday’s 7-3 victory over the Cardinals. He stayed in the game for a few more innings but was eventually removed, and now he’s absent from Sunday’s series finale.
Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says McCutchen assured the Pirates’ medical team that he could have finished Saturday’s game, so his absence Sunday is likely just precautionary.
The 25-year-old has a .346 batting average, a .993 OPS, 15 home runs, 14 stolen bases and 51 RBI in 312 plate appearances this season for the second-place Buccos. He has appeared in 74 of their 77 games.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 23
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 96
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (96)