Jul 1, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen appeared to injure his left wrist while making a diving catch on a Carlos Beltran line drive early in Saturday’s 7-3 victory over the Cardinals. He stayed in the game for a few more innings but was eventually removed, and now he’s absent from Sunday’s series finale.
Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says McCutchen assured the Pirates’ medical team that he could have finished Saturday’s game, so his absence Sunday is likely just precautionary.
The 25-year-old has a .346 batting average, a .993 OPS, 15 home runs, 14 stolen bases and 51 RBI in 312 plate appearances this season for the second-place Buccos. He has appeared in 74 of their 77 games.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)