Jul 1, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen appeared to injure his left wrist while making a diving catch on a Carlos Beltran line drive early in Saturday’s 7-3 victory over the Cardinals. He stayed in the game for a few more innings but was eventually removed, and now he’s absent from Sunday’s series finale.
Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says McCutchen assured the Pirates’ medical team that he could have finished Saturday’s game, so his absence Sunday is likely just precautionary.
The 25-year-old has a .346 batting average, a .993 OPS, 15 home runs, 14 stolen bases and 51 RBI in 312 plate appearances this season for the second-place Buccos. He has appeared in 74 of their 77 games.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 8
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 59
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (132)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)