Jul 1, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen appeared to injure his left wrist while making a diving catch on a Carlos Beltran line drive early in Saturday’s 7-3 victory over the Cardinals. He stayed in the game for a few more innings but was eventually removed, and now he’s absent from Sunday’s series finale.
Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says McCutchen assured the Pirates’ medical team that he could have finished Saturday’s game, so his absence Sunday is likely just precautionary.
The 25-year-old has a .346 batting average, a .993 OPS, 15 home runs, 14 stolen bases and 51 RBI in 312 plate appearances this season for the second-place Buccos. He has appeared in 74 of their 77 games.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 12
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)