Jul 1, 2012, 1:28 PM EDT
Sheets hasn’t appeared in a major league game since July 9, 2010, when he was a member of the A’s. And he underwent Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery a little under two years ago.
But the risk is quite low on a non-guaranteed deal.
Sheets owns a 3.79 career ERA and 1.22 career WHIP. He’s a four-time All-Star and earned National League Cy Young Award votes in 2004 after posting a sparkling 2.70 ERA, 0.98 WHIP and 264/32 K/BB ratio across 237 regular-season innings with the Brewers.
The 33-year-old will head to Double-A Mississippi on Wednesday to begin pitching in live games.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)