Jul 1, 2012, 5:11 PM EDT
With the bases loaded and none out in the sixth inning today in the game between the Angels and Blue Jays, Jose Bautista hit a grounder to second that looked like a potential double-play ball for Kendrick. Only the ball got through him. After running the ball down, Kendrick, failing to appraise the situation, flipped it to Erick Aybar at second base. Lawrie, who went from second to third initially, took advantage and dashed off for home.
That’s where things got dicey. Catcher John Hester got in front of the plate and had to reach up for the throw. Lawrie, instead of going for home plate, decided to deliver a forearm to Hester’s mask and try to dislodge the ball. He failed in that and he missed home plate afterwards, but he also never appeared to be tagged on the play. At that point, he jumped up to try to touch home plate, Hester dove to try to tag him and he ended up being ruled safe by umpire James Hoye.
It seemed to be the right call; replays weren’t conclusive, but it didn’t look like the tag was ever made. Nonetheless, Mike Scioscia was ejected for arguing. Also, Lawrie and Angels pitching coach Mike Butcher started jawing from their respective dugouts.
Lawrie figures to bat once more today, and unless it comes in a big situation, it’d be a surprise if the Angels don’t plunk him. They clearly weren’t happy with his hit on Hester, and his jawing afterwards couldn’t have helped matters.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)