Bryce Harper would vote for Chipper Jones for All-Star Game

Jul 1, 2012, 6:40 PM EST

Bryce Harper Reuters

Bryce Harper has to be considered the favorite to win the NL Final Vote for the last spot on the All-Star team, but he said after Sunday’s game that, “I’d vote for Chipper.”

Harper and Chipper Jones are in the mix along with Michael Bourn, Aaron Hill and David Freese in the Final Vote, but really, it figures to be a two-man race. In typical buddy-cop-movie fashion, it’s the brash, young rookie versus the weary veteran a few months away from retirement.

Ideally, there’d be room for both, and if Matt Kemp is forced to skip the game with his hamstring injury, as seems likely, perhaps there will be. Harper, though, thinks Chipper should go to one last game at age 40. Jones has been to seven All-Star Games, including last year’s. At .292/.375/.455, he’s been plenty productive this year, though he’s played in just 44 games. Harper is hitting .274/.348/.471 in 57 games.

1. shawnuel - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Harper has gone a long way this season in, not only convincing us that his talent isn’t just hype, but that his reputation may be just that. Hype. So far he has handled himself really well in MLB and I love that he has a respect for baseball history and tradition.

2. randygnyc - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:58 PM

With home field advantage for the WS on the line, there is no room for sentimentality, IMO. The fans should keep that in mind, too, when voting for the starters. But it will always be flawed as long as fans can vote. Especially fans with no skin in the game, whose team has no team of advancement, yet whose votes can help determine the course of a championship. The reverse can happen too, as the fans of a particularly strong team, can vote, repeatedly, for the scrubs in the other league. It’s no longer an exhibition when the outcome has tangible consequences.

• paperlions - Jul 1, 2012 at 8:53 PM

If there is no room for sentimentality, you must be annoyed that Jeter made the team.

• madhatternalice - Jul 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Jesus Christ, you are the WORST sort of fan baseball has. Do you have “Yankee Entitlement” tattooed on your forehead?

Last I checked (which, admittedly, was only 10 minutes ago), there wasn’t a single MLB team that had been eliminated from post-season contention.

“Especially fans with no skin in the game”

What does this even mean? A fan’s opinion only matters if “their team” is winning? Do you even think about the garbage you write before you hit enter?

Also, and I hate to break it to you, but fans all over the league enjoy watching the All-Star game. Do you know anyone who wastes their votes on “scrubs in the other league?” And if (and this is a big if) that actually happens, do you see it borne out in the results? No, you don’t.

Please stop posting.

• natstowngreg - Jul 1, 2012 at 9:41 PM

If the All-Star Game really mattered, why give fans a vote? Why have way more than a 25-man roster for each team? Why require that every MLB team is represented? Why play the game like a meaningless exhibition, where the majority of players participate?

Because making the All-Star game the determiner of home field in the World Series is a fraud. And, as I suggested earlier today, if the game isn’t going to be taken seriously, why not let Chipper be there and be honored? I’d say the same for Jeter if this were his last season.

3. taz101 - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Man, I’ve tried my hardest to dislike this kid. I really have. But he just keeps giving me reasons to become a fan.

He plays an aggressive style of ball I truly appreciate, and he doesn’t fall for any of the trip-up questions the media tosses at his feet.

Damn you, Bryce Harper, and your voodoo magic!!!

4. astrosfan75956 - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I’m sorry, Chipper does not belong in the All Star Game.

• makeham98 - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Chipper absolutely belongs. And I agree, as much as I expected Harper to be the clown, he’s been great. The NL team has Sandoval and Furcal as starters, and someone wants to complain about Chipper getting a pinch-hitting spot? That’s the least of that team’s problems.

• theawesomersfranchise - Jul 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM

So Chipper and has 43 games deserves to be there because there are other bad picks.
        Gotcha

He doesn’t deserve a spot at all

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 3, 2012 at 10:27 AM

If you want to talk about games played how about the starters of Kemp (36 games) and Pablo Sandoval (45 games). Chipper shouldn’t be a starter but he damn well should be on the roster.

5. hittfamily - Jul 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Riggs!!! Riggs!!!!! I’m too old for this shit.

6. kkolchak - Jul 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Classy thing for Harper to say. The kid is proving to be a VERY fast learner of how to cultivate a positive image.

7. randygnyc - Jul 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Maddhatter- the fact that your response to me was personal, instead of debating your side, shows me your really just a child.

As far as all star voting goes, I’ll give you just one example. 1,000,000 ignorant fans voted for Ryan Howard this year. Any reasonably informed fan would’ve known that not only didn’t he play at all this year, there wasn’t any hope that would before the all star game.

My skin in the game comment is obviously over your head. I won’t bother to explain it other than to frame it this way. There’s two kinds of people in this country. Those that occupy parks thinking they’re entitled to free college and those that are expected to pay for it. (I used education and not welfare as my example for you because you’re obviously very young and naive and probably fits your current circumstances. Welfare, well, that’s in the future)

And as to your plea- “please stop posting”. No

• Gonzo - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:07 AM

*looks up and screams at you on your high horse*

So what if one million fans want to see Ryan Howard or Chipper Jones or Joe Blow. The game is for the fans.

• Reflex - Jul 2, 2012 at 3:23 AM

All I know is that at the end of the day I’d rather have a beer with those folks occupying parks than with you.

And given my income, I’ll be on the hook to pay for their demands…

• paperlions - Jul 2, 2012 at 7:53 AM

So….the millions of ignorant Yankee fans that repeatedly get Jeter selected as a starter doesn’t bother you? Or that said Yankee fans elected Granderson, who isn’t among the 10 best OF in the AL?

• flyinfalkin - Jul 2, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Curtis Granderson is tied for first in the Majors (not just AL) for OF in fielding

Granderson is tied for 10th in the AL in terms of batting with the third most home runs for a OF 23, leader has 26, 7th in RBI’s, second in runs, second in walks, with the 9th best ops

now how is granderson not in the top 10 in the AL at OF?

• paperlions - Jul 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM

First in fielding based on what?

People can nit pick UZR all they want, but Granderson is LAST among AL OF in UZR. Last = 12 kinds of horrible.

Granderson is 11th among AL OF in wRC+ and 10th among AL OF in wOBA.

Combine that offense with bad defense and you get a non-top 10 producing OFer.

• madhatternalice - Jul 2, 2012 at 11:58 AM

You just don’t get it, do you?

Matt Kemp won’t play. Should he have not been voted in? I’m not a Phillies apologist, but really, this is your major argument? Votto got 7 million votes. As I said above..screw it, I’ll quote myself:

Is Ryan Howard an All-Star this year? Anyway, back to your comments:

There’s two kinds of people in this country.

You still don’t get it, but now we’re venturing into racist territory!

I have no idea what this means. Are you bitter because you are paying back student loans? Because you didn’t get accepted to NYU and had to “settle” for CUNY? What does the cost (or availability) of higher education have to do with baseball?

<“you’re obviously very young”

Nope, you obviously don’t get it. I’m not even going to guess how old you are, because that’s not at all germane to a discussion of All-Star voting, but hey, if you’re 88, then I guess I could be considered “very young,” comparatively.

“And as to your plea- “please stop posting”. No”

At the time of this writing, your post had 0 thumbs up and 25 thumbs down. That’s good enough for me.

8. beeninnikes - Jul 2, 2012 at 3:56 AM

I just don’t understand why people clamor for these old players who are past their prime, oft injured and now underperforming. Chipper shouldnt be on the final ballot. Give the spot to someone who has earned it this season.

9. eshine76 - Jul 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I like how Randy tries to come across as learned and superior to everyone else, yet hacks up his grammar throughout the response. Does that mean he occupies parks?

• ltzep75 - Jul 2, 2012 at 11:46 PM

No, it means he cleans them up after.

10. stevequinn - Jul 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM

As long as the fans have as much say as they do about All-Star rosters, this game is nothing more than an exhibition. To put home field advantage as the reward for a win should require that only the players and coaches should select the composition of the teams. Tha said, Harper is correct, Chipper Jones should be on the national League roster and I’ll be disappointed if LaRussa doesn’t pick him to replace Kemp….provided Jones doesn’t win the fan popularity contest.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester