Jul 1, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
Carlos Lee was picking his ranch over Hollywood.
With Lee expected to use his partial no-trade clause to reject the deal, the Dodgers pulled out of the trade that would have brought Lee from Houston to Los Angeles, CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports. The Dodgers were expected to send the Astros right-hander Garrett Gould in return.
Lee is in the final year of a six-year, $100 million contract. Under normal circumstances, he’d have full no-trade protection as a player with 10 years of service time and the last five with the same team. However, he waived those rights under the terms of the deal. As is, there are 14 teams in his no-trade clause, including the Dodgers.
The Dodgers wanted to bring in Lee to play first base over James Loney. Lee, who continued to play while mulling the trade, went 1-for-4 today and is hitting .285/.336/.402 with five homers and 29 RBI in 246 at-bats for the season. Loney is hitting .236/.303/.323 with two homers and 21 RBI in 220 at-bats.
With Carlos Lee off the table, the Dodgers could take another look at free agent Derrek Lee. Twins first baseman Justin Morneau and Padres third baseman Chase Headley could also be possibilities for the club.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)