Jul 1, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
Squad captain Matt Kemp announced Sunday that he’s chosen the Rockies’ Carlos Gonzalez, the Marlins’ Giancarlo Stanton and the Cardinals’ Carlos Beltran to participate alongside himself in the Home Run Derby.
Kemp plans to take part in the contest, even though he’s still expected to be on the disabled list as he continues his recovery from a hamstring injury. His status for the All-Star Game the following night is still to be determined.
Kemp appears to have bypassed NL home run leader Ryan Braun in choosing his squad. With 22 homers, Braun is two ahead of Beltran, three ahead of Stanton and five ahead of Gonzalez and Jay Bruce on the NL leaderboard. It’s possible Braun opted out of the contest, but there’s been nothing so far to indicate that he did.
The AL squad, which will be picked by Robinson Cano, has yet to be announced.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 27
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 44
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 57
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)