Jul 1, 2012, 4:21 PM EDT
Qualls was designated for assignment by Philly last week after posting a 4.60 ERA and 1.53 WHIP in 31 1/3 innings. He’s doubtful to suddenly find success in the American League East, but a change of scenery can sometimes work wonders for a reliever and the Yankees will simply hope for the best.
The Phillies have now made two trades in two days, though both players were expendable. It’s not fair to say the organization is having a fire sale until someone like Cole Hamels starts getting shopped around to different teams. Oh, wait.
- Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 0
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (106)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)