Jul 1, 2012, 8:27 AM EST
The Rangers it again on Saturday afternoon, riding Josh Hamilton‘s four-RBI performance and a solid first career start from Martin Perez to a 7-2 victory over the Athletics at a sold-out Ballpark in Arlington.
Hamilton is now batting .319 with a 1.038 OPS, 25 home runs and a league-leading 74 RBI. And Perez looks capable of serving as a reliable rotation fill-in while Texas’ regulars battle through health issues.
The Rangers are on a five-game winning streak and are the first team this season to reach the 50-win plateau. They’ve won seven straight season series and 17 of their last 21 games. And there’s no refuge in sight for the rest of the major leagues.
Your Saturday recaps and box scores:
Royals 2, Twins 7 (Game 1)
Royals 1, Twins 5 (Game 2)
Red Sox 2, Mariners 3 (11 innings)
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 4
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 133
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 42
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 371
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (371)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (135)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (88)