Jul 2, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
There’s a new documentary coming out about the development, scouting and signing — and the excesses, pressures and manipulations — of free agent signings in the Dominican Republic. It contains hidden camera footage of Miguel Sano’s signing in 2009 and lots of other things Major League Baseball is not exactly happy with or proud of.
Ken Davidoff has a writeup about it in the Post, and the most fun part about it is that Bobby Valentine is a producer of the flick. Despite the fact that Major League Baseball is not happy with it because they claim it presents a distorted picture of what really goes on down there, Bobby V. stands behind it:
To Valentine, Muscato and the filmmakers, the film is more about the stories of two young men and their aspiration than an exposé of MLB’s role in the Dominican. And though Valentine is now back inside baseball, he said he has no regrets about committing to the project.
“I wasn’t going to stand in the way of the investors and of young producers making a living,” Valentine said. “If these were actors, then you’ve got to change the script. But it’s a documentary. You don’t do it if you don’t want it to be what’s real.”
Probably worth noting that, despite MLB’s protests, the filmmakers say that people from the MLB Investigations Office declined to be interviewed for the film.
Definitely sounds like it’s worth a view when it’s available.
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 0
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 12
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 28
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 65
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 84
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)