Jul 2, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
There’s a new documentary coming out about the development, scouting and signing — and the excesses, pressures and manipulations — of free agent signings in the Dominican Republic. It contains hidden camera footage of Miguel Sano’s signing in 2009 and lots of other things Major League Baseball is not exactly happy with or proud of.
Ken Davidoff has a writeup about it in the Post, and the most fun part about it is that Bobby Valentine is a producer of the flick. Despite the fact that Major League Baseball is not happy with it because they claim it presents a distorted picture of what really goes on down there, Bobby V. stands behind it:
To Valentine, Muscato and the filmmakers, the film is more about the stories of two young men and their aspiration than an exposé of MLB’s role in the Dominican. And though Valentine is now back inside baseball, he said he has no regrets about committing to the project.
“I wasn’t going to stand in the way of the investors and of young producers making a living,” Valentine said. “If these were actors, then you’ve got to change the script. But it’s a documentary. You don’t do it if you don’t want it to be what’s real.”
Probably worth noting that, despite MLB’s protests, the filmmakers say that people from the MLB Investigations Office declined to be interviewed for the film.
Definitely sounds like it’s worth a view when it’s available.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)