Jul 2, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
There’s a new documentary coming out about the development, scouting and signing — and the excesses, pressures and manipulations — of free agent signings in the Dominican Republic. It contains hidden camera footage of Miguel Sano’s signing in 2009 and lots of other things Major League Baseball is not exactly happy with or proud of.
Ken Davidoff has a writeup about it in the Post, and the most fun part about it is that Bobby Valentine is a producer of the flick. Despite the fact that Major League Baseball is not happy with it because they claim it presents a distorted picture of what really goes on down there, Bobby V. stands behind it:
To Valentine, Muscato and the filmmakers, the film is more about the stories of two young men and their aspiration than an exposé of MLB’s role in the Dominican. And though Valentine is now back inside baseball, he said he has no regrets about committing to the project.
“I wasn’t going to stand in the way of the investors and of young producers making a living,” Valentine said. “If these were actors, then you’ve got to change the script. But it’s a documentary. You don’t do it if you don’t want it to be what’s real.”
Probably worth noting that, despite MLB’s protests, the filmmakers say that people from the MLB Investigations Office declined to be interviewed for the film.
Definitely sounds like it’s worth a view when it’s available.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 8
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 38
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires