Jul 2, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
There’s a new documentary coming out about the development, scouting and signing — and the excesses, pressures and manipulations — of free agent signings in the Dominican Republic. It contains hidden camera footage of Miguel Sano’s signing in 2009 and lots of other things Major League Baseball is not exactly happy with or proud of.
Ken Davidoff has a writeup about it in the Post, and the most fun part about it is that Bobby Valentine is a producer of the flick. Despite the fact that Major League Baseball is not happy with it because they claim it presents a distorted picture of what really goes on down there, Bobby V. stands behind it:
To Valentine, Muscato and the filmmakers, the film is more about the stories of two young men and their aspiration than an exposé of MLB’s role in the Dominican. And though Valentine is now back inside baseball, he said he has no regrets about committing to the project.
“I wasn’t going to stand in the way of the investors and of young producers making a living,” Valentine said. “If these were actors, then you’ve got to change the script. But it’s a documentary. You don’t do it if you don’t want it to be what’s real.”
Probably worth noting that, despite MLB’s protests, the filmmakers say that people from the MLB Investigations Office declined to be interviewed for the film.
Definitely sounds like it’s worth a view when it’s available.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 7
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 10
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)