Brewers groundskeeper collapses at ballpark, later dies

Jul 2, 2012, 1:37 PM EDT

Image (1) brewers%20logo.png.gif for post 4991

This is awful. Brewers’ lead groundskeeper Jeff Adcock collapsed during the Brewers-Diamondbacks game at Miller Park yesterday.  He was was taken to a nearby hospital but later died.  Brewers Executive Vice President Bob Quinn issued the following statement:

“We are all saddened by the news of Jeff’s passing. He was a part of our organization for many years, and was a fixture during games in our bullpen area. Jeff developed many friendships with our uniformed staff, and he will be missed by all of us. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.”

Adcock worked for the Brewers for 33 years.

1. deathmonkey41 - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM

With this god-foresaken heat, I’m actually surprised we haven’t been seeing more collapses on the field. I hate going to take the garbage out in this, I couldn’t imagine standing out on a baseball field or doing ground’s crew work in it.

• rollinghighwayblues - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Definitely sad to hear this. Truly awful.

This past week I coached a team of 13 year olds in a week long tournament in Dallas where triple digits were a mainstay. After talking with the umpires, it wasn’t unusual for a pair of umpires to work seven games in a row. That’s right, seven. Starting at 9am and ending around 10pm. One could make the argument that they could’ve qualified for hazard pay.

• obamablowz - Jul 2, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Sad true….however if u can’t believe how hot it is on a baseball field imagine how the troops feel in full gear, no shade, and about 35 deg hotter.

• ufullpj - Jul 2, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Couldn’t agree more, but this is not the forum for that. However, it became an even bigger travesty when the Bush Administration was giving no-bid contracts to Halliburton and Blackwater for similar work at 10X the pay of the troops – still with taxpayer money, and all tax-free.

As for the Adcock family, which should be first and foremost in these comments, our thoughts and prayers are with the family.

• obamablowz - Jul 2, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I disagree. Anytime I can mention the troops and make someone stop for even 1 second to think about them on ANY topic I’m happy. Again, sad story.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:45 PM

My heart goes out to Mr. Adcock’s friends and family. RIP.

3. larryboodry - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Sad to hear…RIP Mr. Adcock.

• gmsingh - Jul 7, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Which sausage was he?

4. kjt929 - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Sad story

5. mybrunoblog - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:49 PM

RIP brother. Sounds like died doing what he loved.
    I wonder if was any relation to former Milwaukee Braves great Joe Adcock? Anyone know?

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 2, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Indeed Bruno. I too was curious if there is a family link between the two men, but could find nothing online in a hasty search. But I did see in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Brewers grounds crew will wear “JA” patches in his memory. A sad day. Strength to his family!

6. badger80 - Jul 2, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I was at the game and it was horrible. Had a view of the bullpen where he went down and the paramedics were giving him CPR forever before they got him on the cart to be taken to the hospital. They never stopped the whole way off the field. That was an ominous sign.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 2, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I don’t mean to be callous, but did he collapse in the bullpen? The reports on twitter made it seem like an employee feel into the bullpen (a la the Hamilton incident last year) and was being administered CPR.

• Jeff J. Snider - Jul 4, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I was at the game too, and at least where I was sitting, none of the fans had any idea what was going on. I’d even guess that a lot of people didn’t even know ANYTHING was going on — you know, the small percentage of fans who go 20 or 30 minutes at a time between noticing anything on the field anyway. The stadium was playing music, showing dancing fans, etc. All the Brewers’ position players were gathered together in center field watching the goings on, and the Brewers’ relievers were gathered together in the bullpen watching more closely (and, at one point, joining in prayer together). As badger80 mentioned, the paramedics did chest compressions for several minutes — I’d estimate at least ten minutes — which indicated that it was going to take a miracle for a good outcome.

At first, the speculation around us was that someone had fallen over the railing into the bullpen (like the Rangers’ situation last year, as outraged mentioned), but it didn’t seem totally plausible the longer things went on (a lot more chest compressions than neck braces, which seemed to my non-medical self to be more indicative of a heart attack than a 15-foot fall). Later, we were in the Fridays in left field (the heat was way too much for my wife and me, to say nothing of our three kids), and our waiter said he had heard that a Brewers’ coach had a heart attack. It wasn’t a coach and I guess we don’t know what actually happened, but his version was a lot closer than the speculation we had heard.

It was a heartbreaking thing to see happen at a baseball stadium, and if it was a heat-related thing, it makes me wonder why, with record-breaking heatwaves going around the midwest, the Brewers didn’t take advantage of that fancy retractable roof and air conditioning.

7. ufullpj - Jul 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM

8. jrocknstuff - Jul 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM

That ruined my day. Simply awful. RIP

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline