It has come to this: Ben Sheets may be in the Braves rotation within two weeks

Jul 2, 2012, 10:55 AM EDT

spt-story-ben-sheets-100325.standard[1]

We noted yesterday that the Braves have signed Ben Sheets. Hey, he used to have something, let’s see if he still has something again. No harm, no foul.

Except now we learn that Sheets will get all of two rehab starts and, assuming his arm doesn’t disintegrate, will join the Braves rotation by mid-July. Atlanta’s starting pitching has been a weakness all year, beset by injury and mediocrity, but I didn’t feel like things were so bad that they were reanimating corpses and plugging them in a week after the All-Star break.

Oh well, I won’t worry. Because I think the odds favor his arm actually disintegrating over him actually being a starter the Braves will depend on to turn a somewhat frustrating season around.

1. cur68 - Jul 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Is this the feared Zombie Apocalypse, then? Re-animated corpses walking to the mound, etc? Well, if it is, I’m doing me cardio, just in case.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 2, 2012 at 11:17 AM

For some weird reason, I thought of Jim Leyland when I read your comment.

• cur68 - Jul 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Leyland walks round the infield in his underwear. That’s worse than any Zombie.

• wlschneider09 - Jul 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Who says the two are mutually exclusive? I’ve seen plenty of zombie movies, there’s usually one or two zombies walkin round in their skivies. We all know the movies are never wrong.

Now a chain smoking zombie, I think that would be a new one.

2. btwicey - Jul 2, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Oh yee of little faith

3. Ben - Jul 2, 2012 at 11:10 AM

The purported existence of pitching depth is the noble lie.

4. flyinhighwithvick - Jul 2, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Ben Sheets? LOL. Who’s next, Charlie Leibrandt?

5. kkolchak - Jul 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Incredible…going into the season the rotation was supposed to be the Braves’ strength. It just goes to prove yet again the old adage that you can’t have too much pitching.

6. bougin89 - Jul 2, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Sheets used to have absolutely electric stuff but even in 2008 when the brewers made their first playoff run his arm was about to fall off/disintegrate.

• mjames1229 - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM

And even held together with chicken wire and duct tape, he managed to beat San Diego 1-0 late in September 2008.

7. bouwel92 - Jul 2, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I’m glad hes back, Sheets has always been one of my favorite pitchers even though he has been plaugead by injurys. Best of luck Sheets, show em how the Louisiana boys do it.

8. Jason Chalifour - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Should’ve just kept Derek Lowe.

9. braddavery - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Why the hell can’t Jon Garland find a spot this season? Anyone know what’s going on with him? He’s healthy, I presume. a relatively young 32 year-old starter with 132 career wins can’t find a job?

10. kjt929 - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Nice to see he is trying to come back

11. harrysatchel - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:35 PM

While the Braves are looking over the old scrap heap, they might as well take a look at Jeremy Bonderman.

12. lostsok - Jul 2, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I’ve always liked Ben Sheets, especially since he was a major reason Tommy Lasorda has a gold medal.

Good luck, Ben!

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3284)