Jul 2, 2012, 11:30 PM EDT
Hall of Famer Jim Palmer is putting his hardware up for bids. Listed on Hunt Auctions are all three of his Cy Young Awards and two of his four Gold Gloves.
Palmer is working as a TV analyst for the Orioles, so he still has a steady income. However, he doesn’t see the mementos as worth keeping any longer.
“While I am immensely proud to have received these awards, that chapter of my life has passed,” he said. “I am aware of people that love baseball and would treasure items like mine. Hopefully, these awards will bring happiness into baseball fans’ lives and allow me to make a difference in my family’s future.
“At this juncture of my life, I would rather concern myself with the education of my grandchildren,” he said. “I also have a stepson, (15-year-old) Spencer, who is autistic and will need special care for the rest of his life. My priorities have changed.”
Palmer also stated that a portion of the profits will be given to the autism project of Palm Beach County.
Palmer won Cy Young Awards in 1973, 1975 and 1976. He won Gold Gloves in four straight years from 1976-79. All 19 of his big-league seasons were with the Orioles, and he ended up going 268-152 with a 2.86 ERA.
Hunt Auctions expects Palmer’s Cy Young Awards to go for $60,000-$80,000 apiece and the Gold Gloves to bring in $10,000-$15,000.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)