Jul 2, 2012, 11:30 PM EDT
Hall of Famer Jim Palmer is putting his hardware up for bids. Listed on Hunt Auctions are all three of his Cy Young Awards and two of his four Gold Gloves.
Palmer is working as a TV analyst for the Orioles, so he still has a steady income. However, he doesn’t see the mementos as worth keeping any longer.
“While I am immensely proud to have received these awards, that chapter of my life has passed,” he said. “I am aware of people that love baseball and would treasure items like mine. Hopefully, these awards will bring happiness into baseball fans’ lives and allow me to make a difference in my family’s future.
“At this juncture of my life, I would rather concern myself with the education of my grandchildren,” he said. “I also have a stepson, (15-year-old) Spencer, who is autistic and will need special care for the rest of his life. My priorities have changed.”
Palmer also stated that a portion of the profits will be given to the autism project of Palm Beach County.
Palmer won Cy Young Awards in 1973, 1975 and 1976. He won Gold Gloves in four straight years from 1976-79. All 19 of his big-league seasons were with the Orioles, and he ended up going 268-152 with a 2.86 ERA.
Hunt Auctions expects Palmer’s Cy Young Awards to go for $60,000-$80,000 apiece and the Gold Gloves to bring in $10,000-$15,000.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 0
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 45
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)