Jul 2, 2012, 11:30 PM EDT
Hall of Famer Jim Palmer is putting his hardware up for bids. Listed on Hunt Auctions are all three of his Cy Young Awards and two of his four Gold Gloves.
Palmer is working as a TV analyst for the Orioles, so he still has a steady income. However, he doesn’t see the mementos as worth keeping any longer.
“While I am immensely proud to have received these awards, that chapter of my life has passed,” he said. “I am aware of people that love baseball and would treasure items like mine. Hopefully, these awards will bring happiness into baseball fans’ lives and allow me to make a difference in my family’s future.
“At this juncture of my life, I would rather concern myself with the education of my grandchildren,” he said. “I also have a stepson, (15-year-old) Spencer, who is autistic and will need special care for the rest of his life. My priorities have changed.”
Palmer also stated that a portion of the profits will be given to the autism project of Palm Beach County.
Palmer won Cy Young Awards in 1973, 1975 and 1976. He won Gold Gloves in four straight years from 1976-79. All 19 of his big-league seasons were with the Orioles, and he ended up going 268-152 with a 2.86 ERA.
Hunt Auctions expects Palmer’s Cy Young Awards to go for $60,000-$80,000 apiece and the Gold Gloves to bring in $10,000-$15,000.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)