Jul 2, 2012, 11:30 PM EST
Hall of Famer Jim Palmer is putting his hardware up for bids. Listed on Hunt Auctions are all three of his Cy Young Awards and two of his four Gold Gloves.
Palmer is working as a TV analyst for the Orioles, so he still has a steady income. However, he doesn’t see the mementos as worth keeping any longer.
“While I am immensely proud to have received these awards, that chapter of my life has passed,” he said. “I am aware of people that love baseball and would treasure items like mine. Hopefully, these awards will bring happiness into baseball fans’ lives and allow me to make a difference in my family’s future.
“At this juncture of my life, I would rather concern myself with the education of my grandchildren,” he said. “I also have a stepson, (15-year-old) Spencer, who is autistic and will need special care for the rest of his life. My priorities have changed.”
Palmer also stated that a portion of the profits will be given to the autism project of Palm Beach County.
Palmer won Cy Young Awards in 1973, 1975 and 1976. He won Gold Gloves in four straight years from 1976-79. All 19 of his big-league seasons were with the Orioles, and he ended up going 268-152 with a 2.86 ERA.
Hunt Auctions expects Palmer’s Cy Young Awards to go for $60,000-$80,000 apiece and the Gold Gloves to bring in $10,000-$15,000.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 43
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 36
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)