Jul 2, 2012, 11:30 PM EDT
Hall of Famer Jim Palmer is putting his hardware up for bids. Listed on Hunt Auctions are all three of his Cy Young Awards and two of his four Gold Gloves.
Palmer is working as a TV analyst for the Orioles, so he still has a steady income. However, he doesn’t see the mementos as worth keeping any longer.
“While I am immensely proud to have received these awards, that chapter of my life has passed,” he said. “I am aware of people that love baseball and would treasure items like mine. Hopefully, these awards will bring happiness into baseball fans’ lives and allow me to make a difference in my family’s future.
“At this juncture of my life, I would rather concern myself with the education of my grandchildren,” he said. “I also have a stepson, (15-year-old) Spencer, who is autistic and will need special care for the rest of his life. My priorities have changed.”
Palmer also stated that a portion of the profits will be given to the autism project of Palm Beach County.
Palmer won Cy Young Awards in 1973, 1975 and 1976. He won Gold Gloves in four straight years from 1976-79. All 19 of his big-league seasons were with the Orioles, and he ended up going 268-152 with a 2.86 ERA.
Hunt Auctions expects Palmer’s Cy Young Awards to go for $60,000-$80,000 apiece and the Gold Gloves to bring in $10,000-$15,000.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 24
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)