Jim Palmer is selling his Cy Youngs, Gold Gloves

Jul 2, 2012, 11:30 PM EDT

Jim Palmer's Cy Young AP

Hall of Famer Jim Palmer is putting his hardware up for bids. Listed on Hunt Auctions are all three of his Cy Young Awards and two of his four Gold Gloves.

Palmer is working as a TV analyst for the Orioles, so he still has a steady income. However, he doesn’t see the mementos as worth keeping any longer.

“While I am immensely proud to have received these awards, that chapter of my life has passed,” he said. “I am aware of people that love baseball and would treasure items like mine. Hopefully, these awards will bring happiness into baseball fans’ lives and allow me to make a difference in my family’s future.

“At this juncture of my life, I would rather concern myself with the education of my grandchildren,” he said. “I also have a stepson, (15-year-old) Spencer, who is autistic and will need special care for the rest of his life. My priorities have changed.”

Palmer also stated that a portion of the profits will be given to the autism project of Palm Beach County.

Palmer won Cy Young Awards in 1973, 1975 and 1976. He won Gold Gloves in four straight years from 1976-79. All 19 of his big-league seasons were with the Orioles, and he ended up going 268-152 with a 2.86 ERA.

Hunt Auctions expects Palmer’s Cy Young Awards to go for $60,000-$80,000 apiece and the Gold Gloves to bring in $10,000-$15,000.

1. sfischer1967 - Jul 2, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I always thought Jim Palmer to be a classy individual with a right sense of priorities. This just confirms it. Glad he’s still here in Baltimore calling the games.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Perhaps the most amazing stat from his HoF career is the number of grand slam home runs he allowed: zero.

• Chris K - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Showing the true class of a brother of the Sigma Chi fraternity! IHSV

• js20011041 - Jul 3, 2012 at 7:25 AM

I don’t know you personally and I don’t know what kind of person you are, but I’m pretty sure that it’s a fair statement that most people associate fraternities with douchebags. I don’t think that’s something I’d brag about.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Jul 3, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Shut up frat boy

• azvikefan - Jul 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM

And the true class of a Scottsdale, AZ boy, like myself.

• istillbelieveinblue - Jul 3, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Don’t buy into the stereotypes. Joining a Fraternity in college was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I learned a lot about life (living with 70 other guys, you learn rather quickly how to live and work with other people). I held offices in the Fraternity, which offered opportunities for leadership. I made many friends that I am still close to 10 years later. Fraternity life isn’t for everyone and, yes, some of the stereotypes are true, but please don’t make blanket statements about all of us being “douchebags”. I can only speak for my personal experience at Indiana University, but the Greek GPA at IU is consistently above the all-men’s GPA. We had minimum GPA requirements in place to remain a member in good standing, and help was offered to those that fell below that requirement. I personally fell into that category, and the help I received from older members that had already taken the classes I was taking was invaluable.

• 18thstreet - Jul 3, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Greek GPA is higher than other students’ GPA because — at many colleges (including my own) — when your GPA drops below 2.0, you’re not allowed to be a member of the fraternity any more. Occasionally, this is a rule of the fraternity; occasionally, it’s the college’s rule.

Other than the people with bad grades, everyone in fraternities has good grades.

2. cowboyscanada - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Class guy! I

3. randygnyc - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Pathetic, that these titans of the game, from not long ago

• 18thstreet - Jul 3, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Good lord, you’re an asshole.

4. randygnyc - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Oops. Cut off post.

Anyway, it’s pathetic that these former greats are struggling to secure a future for their immediate family members. In context, some of these current, middling players receive 40 and 50 million dollar deals before playing a MLB inning.

• dan1111 - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Baseball Reference only has salary data for seven of his seasons, but he earned over 1.5 million in that period. That may not compare to today’s salaries, but I don’t think he needs our sympathy.

There is no indication that he’s struggling to provide for his family. Sending one’s grandchildren to college goes above and beyond that. It appears that he simply wants to use his resources to help others. This is something for which Palmer is known. He also appeared in a bunch of underwear commercials and donated all of the money he made to charity.

5. pjmitch - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:19 AM

What is obscene about this is if he was playing today and earning today’s money, he wouldn’t have a care in the world and his awards would still hang on his wall.

• randomdigits - Jul 3, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Not the Gold Gloves, his wife won’t let him display them, they don’t fit the rest of the decor.

6. dickclydesdale - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM

No doubt this fool is broke and needs the cash to support his family or else he would be giving them away in a raffle.

• djpostl - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:00 AM

The bright side…if he gets enough he can finally buy you that home sterilization kit you so richly deserve

• theawesomersfranchise - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Not even close to being broke, just wants more to provide for his grand kids and autistic step son. He lived the dream, he doesn’t need trinkets to remind him.

• dan1111 - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Look up the history of how Palmer has used his money in the past, and you will see that you are sadly mistaken.

• theawesomersfranchise - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Why don’t you tell everyone instead? Do his taxes do you?

• mikeminnc - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM

No doubt? I have an 11 year old with autism. I am the President of a small, but thriving company, and I make a very good income. But we’ve incurred costs of about $70,000 per year for the past 7 years for my daughter putting her in a special school, providing occupational therapy and speech therapy and specialized educational tutoring. That’s 175% of the cost per year of an Ivy League school, but she is going into the 5th grade. We did everything right – we got college degrees, my wife and I both work, we don’t live extravagantly, we saved money, but nothing can prepare you for an unexpected expense like this. The running joke amongst the parents we know with children who have autism is that we can never die because there is no real trustworthy infrastructure or resources in place to care for our daughter if she is unable to live independently when she gets older. Schools will not foot the bill, and we have been arguing with our insurance company for 2 years to try and get them to pay for the speech therapy they were supposed to cover.

So while “this fool” may in fact be broke and need the cash, another possible reality is that he was a successful pro at a time when the salaries where high but not stratospheric, and he is trying to figure out how to fund a trust for his child in the event that both parents die. Right now we’ve estimated that if something happened to us before our daughter turns 20 she would need about $2 million to provide reliable, safe living conditions for the rest of her life. I am not interested in living of government largesse, so we have to figure out how to fund that ourselves…..Mr. Palmer is evidently doing similar planning.

Did you consider any of that perspective before you referred to Mr. Palmer as “a fool who is probably broke”?

7. randygnyc - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:21 AM

There’s something, -dirty- about fans purchasing such personal items such as world series rings, trophies and awards from players that are down on financial hard times.

• js20011041 - Jul 3, 2012 at 7:34 AM

How so? Are fans supposed to hand over cash and call it a charitable donation? I realize that compared to today’s salaries, Palmer didn’t make much money, but 1.5 million over just seven years isn’t a pittance. A person making $50,000 a year will have to work for 30 years to make that much money. If he didn’t manage his money well, I’d feel bad for him, but that’s his problem.

• 18thstreet - Jul 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Palmer probably makes a fine salary calling Orioles’ games. I’m sure he can afford the college tuition, if he so desires.

This is nothing but a feel-good story from a guy who has given a lot to charity over the years. Anyone looking to dissect it or criticize Jim Palmer is an asshole with an agenda.

8. sneschalmers - Jul 3, 2012 at 7:56 AM

While I’d like to believe that Palmer is selling his awards for his stated reasons, something about this rubs me the wrong way. If he truly wanted to distance himself from the game and spend more time with his grandchildren and autistic grandson, wouldn’t he step down from broadcasting? Broadcasters still spend a substantial of time around the game. If we’re assuming that he’s made enough money from his baseball career, shouldn’t he be able to retire from broadcasting to maximize the amount of time spent with his grandchildren and step son?

This is purely speculation and feel free to downvote me if you want, but I remember an SI article from 2009 (link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1153364/1/index.htm ) which states that many professional athletes (the article focused on NBA, MLB, NFL primarily) go bankrupt within 2-5 years of retirement, and I wonder if there are similar circumstances here. My hypotheses isn’t based on much, but something about the story doesn’t feel right (to me at least).

• 18thstreet - Jul 3, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I don’t watch THAT many Orioles games, but I believe Palmer almost exclusively calls home games or ones close to Baltimore. Mike Bordick is also a color commentator.

Fun fact: even autistic kids go to school during the week and go to sleep during the bulk of a baseball game. I have no reason to doubt that Jim Palmer spends plenty of time with his family.

I’ll say it again, because I’m really getting pissed: Anyone looking to dissect this or criticize Jim Palmer for selling a trophy is an asshole with an agenda, and I feel sorry for you.

• sneschalmers - Jul 3, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Look 18th street. I understand your frustration and your desire to defend Palmer. I said outright that it was speculation and that the reason I even considered not taking Palmer at his word is because something simply didn’t feel right to me, and I outlined what exactly that was. I made no statement criticizing Palmer. If you want to get all internet hulk-y and make attributions about me based on a couple sentences, well okay then. But that also makes you appear like an asshole.

9. rip4gehrig - Jul 3, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I am a Yankee fan but I have the utmost respect for Mr. Palmer because in the end its the person that matters not the logo on his hat.

10. gammagammahey - Jul 3, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Where’s the Money Store when you need it?

11. stex52 - Jul 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM

We can’t take him at his word? Maybe he is just at a different point in his life. In the end, material things don’t matter that much. He is in the record books.

12. ottomanismydog - Jul 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Had a discussion with my future wife about how we’d provide/save for our kids college education. Obviously Jim Palmer listened in to his kids conversation – If he fetches $100k and the grandchildren stay in state than it’s a great move!

13. randall351 - Jul 3, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Isn’t there a retirement pension for MLB players with a certain amount of service time?

Aha a quick Google search did reveal such a thing, not 100% sure if Palmer qualifies for these exact benefits, but I’m sure he’s getting at least some money if not the $100,000 annually. Not to mention I doubt if broadcasters make minimum wage. I’m sure the guy is doing a lot better than 99% of the country.

Source:

14. Max Power - Jul 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Jim Palmer knows he won three Cy Young Awards, he doesn’t need a plaque to remind him. He still lives in Baltimore, if he ever forgets any of his accomplishments, all he has to do is walk down Charles Street.

But what do I do when I buy one his trophies? Ask 22 year old women in bars if they want to come back to my place and see my 1976 Cy Young Award?

• ptfu - Jul 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM

You’ll need a great delivery to pull that off

• APBA Guy - Jul 3, 2012 at 11:55 AM

You’d have to be “The Most Interesting Man in the World” to pull that off, especially if the 22 year old can do any math.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3113)