Jul 2, 2012, 10:33 AM EST
Lance Berkman has been on the disabled list since late May after having surgery to fix a meniscus tear in his knee. Joe Strauss reports, however, that he’s not far from returning.
Joe Strauss: Berkman thinks he’s going to be back shortly after the All-Star Break and doesn’t think he’ll need a rehab stint.
— Tim McKernan (@tmckernan) July 2, 2012
That’s good news. Berkman was hitting .333/.429/.571 in 13 games. Of course, Allen Craig and Matt Carpenter have been pretty awesome in his stead. Better news for the Cards would be if some starting pitchers came back.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 316
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (320)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)