Jul 2, 2012, 10:28 PM EDT
The Mariners announced this evening that they have agreed to terms with No. 3 overall pick Mike Zunino. He’ll be officially introduced during a news conference tomorrow.
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that Zunino will get a $4 million bonus, which is $1.2 million below the slot recommendation for the pick. No. 1 overall pick Carlos Correa received a $4.8 million from the Astros while No. 2 overall pick Byron Buxton got $6 million from the Twins. Both of those deals were also under the slot recommendation.
Zunino, a catcher out of the University of Florida, was recently named Baseball America’s college player of the year. The 21-year-old has plus-power from the right side of the plate and is highly-regarded for his leadership and defensive ability.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 51
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)