Jul 2, 2012, 10:28 PM EDT
The Mariners announced this evening that they have agreed to terms with No. 3 overall pick Mike Zunino. He’ll be officially introduced during a news conference tomorrow.
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that Zunino will get a $4 million bonus, which is $1.2 million below the slot recommendation for the pick. No. 1 overall pick Carlos Correa received a $4.8 million from the Astros while No. 2 overall pick Byron Buxton got $6 million from the Twins. Both of those deals were also under the slot recommendation.
Zunino, a catcher out of the University of Florida, was recently named Baseball America’s college player of the year. The 21-year-old has plus-power from the right side of the plate and is highly-regarded for his leadership and defensive ability.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8