Jul 2, 2012, 8:15 PM EST
UPDATE: Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register reports that X-rays on Trout’s right pinkie finger came back negative. He should be back in there tomorrow.
5:51 PM: Sure, now that he’s a big star and all, Mike Trout can afford to let a sore pinkie knock him out of the lineup.
Trout, who was named to the AL All-Star squad as a reserve Sunday, is on the bench tonight because of a sore right pinkie he injured sliding into second base yesterday.
The injury didn’t stop him from hitting homer later in the game against the Jays, but the Angels scratched him tonight and went with Peter Bourjos in his place.
Trout and Houston’s Jose Altuve became the eighth and ninth players to go from the Futures Game one year right to the All-Star Game the next. The 20-year-old Trout is hitting .339/.395/.542 with nine homers and 22 steals in 236 at-bats this season.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 71
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)