Jul 2, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
UPDATE: Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register reports that X-rays on Trout’s right pinkie finger came back negative. He should be back in there tomorrow.
5:51 PM: Sure, now that he’s a big star and all, Mike Trout can afford to let a sore pinkie knock him out of the lineup.
Trout, who was named to the AL All-Star squad as a reserve Sunday, is on the bench tonight because of a sore right pinkie he injured sliding into second base yesterday.
The injury didn’t stop him from hitting homer later in the game against the Jays, but the Angels scratched him tonight and went with Peter Bourjos in his place.
Trout and Houston’s Jose Altuve became the eighth and ninth players to go from the Futures Game one year right to the All-Star Game the next. The 20-year-old Trout is hitting .339/.395/.542 with nine homers and 22 steals in 236 at-bats this season.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)