Jul 2, 2012, 8:15 PM EST
UPDATE: Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register reports that X-rays on Trout’s right pinkie finger came back negative. He should be back in there tomorrow.
5:51 PM: Sure, now that he’s a big star and all, Mike Trout can afford to let a sore pinkie knock him out of the lineup.
Trout, who was named to the AL All-Star squad as a reserve Sunday, is on the bench tonight because of a sore right pinkie he injured sliding into second base yesterday.
The injury didn’t stop him from hitting homer later in the game against the Jays, but the Angels scratched him tonight and went with Peter Bourjos in his place.
Trout and Houston’s Jose Altuve became the eighth and ninth players to go from the Futures Game one year right to the All-Star Game the next. The 20-year-old Trout is hitting .339/.395/.542 with nine homers and 22 steals in 236 at-bats this season.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)