Jul 2, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
UPDATE: Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register reports that X-rays on Trout’s right pinkie finger came back negative. He should be back in there tomorrow.
5:51 PM: Sure, now that he’s a big star and all, Mike Trout can afford to let a sore pinkie knock him out of the lineup.
Trout, who was named to the AL All-Star squad as a reserve Sunday, is on the bench tonight because of a sore right pinkie he injured sliding into second base yesterday.
The injury didn’t stop him from hitting homer later in the game against the Jays, but the Angels scratched him tonight and went with Peter Bourjos in his place.
Trout and Houston’s Jose Altuve became the eighth and ninth players to go from the Futures Game one year right to the All-Star Game the next. The 20-year-old Trout is hitting .339/.395/.542 with nine homers and 22 steals in 236 at-bats this season.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)