Jul 2, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
UPDATE: Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register reports that X-rays on Trout’s right pinkie finger came back negative. He should be back in there tomorrow.
5:51 PM: Sure, now that he’s a big star and all, Mike Trout can afford to let a sore pinkie knock him out of the lineup.
Trout, who was named to the AL All-Star squad as a reserve Sunday, is on the bench tonight because of a sore right pinkie he injured sliding into second base yesterday.
The injury didn’t stop him from hitting homer later in the game against the Jays, but the Angels scratched him tonight and went with Peter Bourjos in his place.
Trout and Houston’s Jose Altuve became the eighth and ninth players to go from the Futures Game one year right to the All-Star Game the next. The 20-year-old Trout is hitting .339/.395/.542 with nine homers and 22 steals in 236 at-bats this season.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 49
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 29
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)