Rangers voice Dave Barnett expected to miss rest of season

Jul 2, 2012, 3:32 PM EDT

Dave Barnett

Rangers play-by-play announcer Dave Barnett, who hasn’t been back in the booth since the incident two weeks ago in which he started spouting nonsense on the air, said Monday that he is taking an indefinite leave of absence.

As you may remember, Barnett pretty much lost it for a few seconds in a game on June 18, reporting that “the go-ahead run is at fifth on what [Mike] Adams is insisting on calling it a botched robbery. What actually happened was his henchman took piece literally out of,” before his mic was cut off. He was put back on the air 20 seconds later and everything seemed normal enough afterwards, but it was announced the next day that he was being sent for an evaluation.

“I want to thank everyone for your kind sentiments and words of encouragement over the last couple of weeks. It has meant a lot to me during what has been a very difficult time,” Barnett said in today’s statement. “Effective immediately, for health reasons I will be taking an indefinite leave of absence from my broadcasting duties that I expect to last for the remainder of the season. I would ask that you please respect the privacy of me and my family during this time.”

Steve Busby, who was doing radio play-by-play, will continue to fill in for Barnett on the TV side.

1. dondada10 - Jul 2, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Scary stuff. I heard the Barnett broadcast and it just seemed surreal.

2. mattyflex - Jul 2, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I don’t see what the problem is; it made perfect sense to me.

• mattyflex - Jul 2, 2012 at 4:03 PM

sorry.

• stex52 - Jul 2, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Don’t feel too bad. We all had a thought about it and backed off. Not appropriate, but gallows humor always goes over well. Besides, he may turn out fine.

3. seeinred87 - Jul 2, 2012 at 3:42 PM

It’s tough not to imagine the worst after this news.

Best of luck to the guy.

4. shaggylocks - Jul 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM

C’mon, just tell us what the problem is! Everything I guess is going to be waaay worse than what it likely really is.

Ah well. Best of luck to him and his family. Hope he’s back in the booth before too long.

5. boiler90 - Jul 2, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Sounds like an on-air stroke. Our thoughts go out to him and his family. Hope he gets well soon.

6. stex52 - Jul 2, 2012 at 4:05 PM

You can have a TIA (temporary ischemic accident) which is like a minor stroke, but the effects go away almost immediately. It’s like kinking a hose for a minute. Not good, but not all that bad overall. But if that were the case, I am surprised he isn’t back already. They are acting like it is something that needs some real care ot treatment.

Best to him, his family and the organization.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 2, 2012 at 4:59 PM

But if that were the case, I am surprised he isn’t back already.

Professional sports are notorious for being unable to handle any medical issue above a cut or scratch. Just ask the resident Twins fans about handling injuries (guy is hurt, plays hurt for an extra 2-3 weeks, then goes on the DL) or any sport with concussions. Hopefully it’s nothing major, and better to be safe than sorry.

• tommyajar - Jul 2, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Yes – I believe this happened to a female entertainment reporter on the air during a broadcast of one of those awards shows? Emmys or something! They have zero control over what is coming out of their mouths, it seems, and it is scary…..seems that it is called a stroke, but from what I have heard of how it is described, it is almost like a super bad migrane headache or something? Hope that is all that it is?

7. turdfurgerson68 - Jul 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM

‘Henchmen’…ha ha ha.

8. lamontjoe - Jul 2, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I hope he gets better and comes back next year. Best of luck to you.

9. dude1974 - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Is this what’s wrong with Dusty Baker?

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2975)