Jul 2, 2012, 4:44 PM EDT
When we checked in a few hours ago, eight of Baseball America’s top 20 international prospects had signed. Now it’s up to 14 of the 18 eligible to do so. Left-hander Luis Gohara (July 31) and shortstop Sergio Alcantara (July 10) aren’t eligible to ink contracts until their 16th birthdays later this month.
The Rays added inked two of the six additions, and they’re Nos. 3 and 14 on the Baseball America list. No. 3 Jose Mujica is a right-handed pitcher, while No. 14 David Rodriguez is a catcher. Both were signed out of Venezuela.
The Yankees, already in possession of BA’s No. 2 prospect in catcher Luis Torrens, added No. 4, Venezuelan outfielder Alexander Palma. They also signed shortstop Yancarlos Baez, who didn’t make the list. In all, the three players got $2.75 million in bonuses, leaving the Yankees already up against the new $2.9 million cap.
The top player left on BA’s list is Venezuelan left-hander Jose Casillo, who is also rumored to be signing with the Rays.
One team that hasn’t been active so far is the Rangers. They’ve made big splashes in recent years, but they may be holding on to their cap room this year to sign Jairo Beras. As you may remember, the Rangers initially inked Beras for $4.5 million in March, only to have his status come under question because of his age. The Rangers say Beras is 17, which would have made him eligible to sign in March. Other teams thought he was 16 and wouldn’t be eligible to sign until today.
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 12
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 16
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 12
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 58
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 21
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)