Jul 2, 2012, 4:44 PM EDT
When we checked in a few hours ago, eight of Baseball America’s top 20 international prospects had signed. Now it’s up to 14 of the 18 eligible to do so. Left-hander Luis Gohara (July 31) and shortstop Sergio Alcantara (July 10) aren’t eligible to ink contracts until their 16th birthdays later this month.
The Rays added inked two of the six additions, and they’re Nos. 3 and 14 on the Baseball America list. No. 3 Jose Mujica is a right-handed pitcher, while No. 14 David Rodriguez is a catcher. Both were signed out of Venezuela.
The Yankees, already in possession of BA’s No. 2 prospect in catcher Luis Torrens, added No. 4, Venezuelan outfielder Alexander Palma. They also signed shortstop Yancarlos Baez, who didn’t make the list. In all, the three players got $2.75 million in bonuses, leaving the Yankees already up against the new $2.9 million cap.
The top player left on BA’s list is Venezuelan left-hander Jose Casillo, who is also rumored to be signing with the Rays.
One team that hasn’t been active so far is the Rangers. They’ve made big splashes in recent years, but they may be holding on to their cap room this year to sign Jairo Beras. As you may remember, the Rangers initially inked Beras for $4.5 million in March, only to have his status come under question because of his age. The Rangers say Beras is 17, which would have made him eligible to sign in March. Other teams thought he was 16 and wouldn’t be eligible to sign until today.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)