Ruben Amaro: the goal is to sign and keep Cole Hamels

Jul 2, 2012, 11:49 AM EST

Pittsburgh Pirates v Philadelphia Phillies Getty Images

Ken Rosenthal spoke with Ruben Amaro and asked for comment on the Cole Hamels stuff from yesterday. Here’s Ruben:

“Our goal is the same as it has been from the beginning. To sign him and keep him long-term in a Phillies uniform … I do not ever discuss the information that is out there, nor those rumors or speculations. This is the time of year where things will be out there. It is the nature of our sport and a product of the time of year.”

Which is General Manager Speak for “Well, sure, if someone offers us a bunch we’ll trade him, but in the very likely event that doesn’t happen, I don’t want to be on record saying we shopped the guy.”

1. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 2, 2012 at 11:54 AM

The should be on the horn shopping that bum Victorino. He is done from the left side of the plate…which makes him a platoon player. Just get what you can for him now because there is no way in hell he will be manning CF next year for the Phillies.

• ame123 - Jul 2, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Victorino is hurt, already needed cortisone shots for his wrist. He probably should try hitting right-handed full-time.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 2, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I don’t care. He is over rated defensively and his numbers since the end of last season have been in steady decline. Wrong side of 30 as well. He should be dealt for whatever. For the type of contract he will probably command, it would be foolish of the Phillies to sign him. For all intensive purposes, this season is lost. He shouldn’t be part of any long term plan for RAJ and therefore should be traded imminently.

• phillyphreak - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:29 PM

He’s really not that different of a player than he was 2 years ago dr. Last year was a career year for him. I’m not against trading him but I wouldn’t call him a bum either.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Yes, I know….but his XBH are down. If you extrapolate his numbers for the rest of the season, his WAR indicates that he is a border line starter. Furthermore, his defense is massively overrated. Bum might be a bit of an overstatement, but for the salary he makes one would expect more.

• phillyphreak - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:14 PM

No it doesn’t. He’s already at 1.6 WAR (fWAR). ZIPS has him a 1.9 the rest of the way (which would be 3.5 total). That would put him in the “good player” range on the WAR scale per FG. He’s making 9.5 million this season and if we think $5million/WAR is a generally okay assessment then he’s already “earned” most of his salary this season.

I really didn’t intend on defending Shane but I think you’re setting last year as his true talent level which it obviously wasn’t/isn’t.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I have him at a 1.1 WAR. So, a full season 2.2 puts him as a borderline starter. Anyway, we can argue about the differing ways to calculate WAR some other time. I’m not putting last season as what his career norm should be….but his numbers are falling across the board. He is aging, I get that. My main point from above is that he can no longer hit right handed pitchers at a decent enough rate to make him a viable everyday player. Something around an OPS of .600. Awful. In my opinion, he is something of a platoon player at this point and should not be considered apart of the Phillies future.

• phillyphreak - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Even if you like BR WAR better, 2.2 is still a starter. Below 2 WAR (on BR) is a sub levle player. So by both metrics he’s a starter.

FWIW in 2010 he was sub 0.700 Slg from the left side too. It is still better than this season (0.681 vs 0.613) but we can’t pretend that he was a much different hitter in 2010 than now. He has little power from the left side of the plate. I think he should just exclusively bat RH as someone said above.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Exclusively batting RH is an option I suppose. I would be interested in how other switch hitters have fared only batting from their superior side. Furthermore, it is fare to wonder if he has seen right handed pitchers from the right side (save for a handful of occasions) since he became a professional. Again, I am aware of his stats from 2010. I didn’t expect a repeat of last season, but I did expect something significantly better than what I am seeing out of him this season.

• CJ - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM

if you want to argue Victorino (who’s from Hawaii, you know) is a starter, then fine. But he’s not a prototypical 1 or 2 hitter. more like a 7. Philly’s been able to get away with it because they don’t manufacture runs anyway, but that has to change now and he doesn’t fit those plans.

A starting CF that can’t legitimately bat in the first 5 slots in the lineup can’t be on this team moving forward because of the sheer number of question marks in the lineup. He’s not a terrible player, he just isn’t suited for what this team is any more, that’s all. That’s all the more reason to move him. He can still play, is still valued, and is still worth something on the market. If he’s a stiff, then you can’t and won’t get anything for him (see Polanco, Placido). You have to give up something to get something.

2. 12strikes - Jul 2, 2012 at 12:11 PM

WOW no reference to Booing, Snowballs, or batteries… Craig is getting soft.

3. threeskis - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:43 PM

s/b Intents and purposes

4. buddysguys - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM

shop the whole team…especially Halladay

5. paperlions - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Love that picture.

“YEEAAAAAAAH!”

• jimbo1949 - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:30 PM

CSI Philadelphia.

6. bbk1000 - Jul 2, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I hope the Phils keep Amaro..he may be the worst G.M. in the game….

7. greymares - Jul 2, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Phillies should start getting better this week, they have the Braves, right Craig?

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 3, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Let’s hope not. I will be at the game Saturday.

8. deathmonkey41 - Jul 2, 2012 at 7:42 PM

It’s funny how fast this guy went from Second Coming to Baseball Pariah.

9. dickclydesdale - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:47 AM

This Mexican Amaro jr guy should be running a car wash not a big league ball club.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4678)