Tell me why the Braves don’t like Mondays

Jul 2, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT

Braves writers have been tracking this all season. I hadn’t realized it had gotten this bad:

I never read into that stuff because it’s obviously not predictive or explanatory of anything terribly important (my one theory: they stay up talking about the previous night’s “Mad Men” was blown out of the water a couple of weeks ago), but that is quite an accomplishment on the Braves’ part.

Daddy doesn’t understand it.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Sounds like somebody has a case of the Mondays.

• hotkarlsandwich - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Maybe they should wear more flair

• ezthinking - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Peter Gibbons: Let me ask you something. When you come in on Monday and you’re not feeling real well, does anyone ever say to you, “Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays?”

Lawrence: No. No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you’d get your ass kicked sayin’ something like that, man.

2. number42is1 - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Yea…. Ben…. we’re gonna need you to come in to start in a few weeks.

3. heyblueyoustink - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Hmmmm, so I can make the connection here that the Braves are the quintessential blue collar team: they drag ass on Mondays like the rest of us.

Maybe they should have casual fridays, you know, give them something to look forward to?

• rollinghighwayblues - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Better yet, Hawaiian shirt day. So if you want, on Monday….wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans.

• number42is1 - Jul 2, 2012 at 3:53 PM

you see the problem is that when they lose they have to answer to their manager and fans and owners and board members. so they gotta take it from so many different people that there is no incentive to do a good job in the first place.

4. ThisIsBaseball - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Tell my why I don’t like Mondays. I want to shoot the whole way down.

• schlom - Jul 2, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Actually it’s “I want to shoot the whole day down”

• ThisIsBaseball - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM

No edit function fails me.

5. danandcasey - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM

It has something to do with the city of Atlanta. It affected Bob Geldof, who was inspired to write “I Don’t Like Mondays” while in Atlanta. Even I am not immune — which explains why I am leaving this comment instead of working.

6. SmackSaw - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM

The silicon chip inside their heads gets switched to overload.

7. okobojicat - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Pretty sure this happens each year to one team or another. Last year the Rockies won their first two games on Sundays, and then lost 16 straight. Its a bunch of bored writers being annoying.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Its a bunch of bored writers being annoying.

Kind of reminds me of the comments section of most blogs …

8. dwrek5 - Jul 2, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Because they wish it was Sunday?

• Joe - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM

That’s MY fun day!

• rollinghighwayblues - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:04 PM

My “I don’t have to run day!” In all honesty, I find myself singing that song at least once a week.

• 18thstreet - Jul 2, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Things we can only admit in the anonymity of a blog.

9. groundruledoublebourbon - Jul 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM

So, Fredi…. what would ya say… ya DO here…?

• ptfu - Jul 2, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Fredi: I deal with the god damn reporters so the players don’t have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. (shouting) Can’t you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people? (storms out of the room)

10. raysfan1 - Jul 2, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Does the team have a very large, orange, lasagna-loving cat?

• bravojawja - Jul 2, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Not any more. He was designated for assignment a couple weeks ago. I think he’s pitching for the Brewers now.

11. dickclydesdale - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:54 AM

When you are in MLB every day should be like a party!

Three legends off to Cooperstown