Jul 2, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
Yesterday Tony La Russa left Johnny Cueto off the All-Star team despite Cueto having the kind of numbers which usually ensure All-Star status.
Dusty Baker said it was because La Russa was holding a grudge over that ugly 2010 brawl in which Cueto ended Jason LaRue’s career with the kicks to the head. La Russa denied that, acted like his integrity was being insulted and said, no, it was because Cueto was scheduled to pitch on Sunday, thus making him unavailable for the All-Star Game.
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer just burnt that house down, however, by noting the new language regarding Sunday starters in the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Specifically, a guy is starting on the Sunday before the game is no justification for not selecting him:
(ii) Sunday Pitcher Rule. Any starting pitcher elected or selected to the All-Star team who makes a start on the Sunday immediately preceding the All-Star Game (“Sunday Pitcher”) shall have the option to participate or not participate in the All-Star Game. If such starting pitcher elects to participate in the All-Star Game, he will not be permitted to pitch for more than one inning, and he may also inform his manager that he should be removed from the game if he reaches a certain pitch count (irrespective of whether he has completed one inning), provided such pitch count is reasonable. If a Sunday Pitcher who was originally named to the team elects not to participate in the All-Star Game, he will be replaced on the roster but treated in the same manner as other All-Stars who are excused from participation, and he will be encouraged to attend and be announced at the All-Star Game.
If La Russa had said nothing in response to Baker and Cueto’s comments the story dies and the benefit of the doubt is probably given. But I suspect the last person on the planet who is unaware of the rules applicable to this situation is Tony La Russa, Esq. And his reasoning for keeping Cueto off the team seems pretty weak at the moment.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 14
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 69
- The Lester trade is a win-win 107
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 161
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (161)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (122)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (107)