Jul 3, 2012, 5:47 AM EDT
Rays 4, Yankees 3: Mark Teixeira committed his first error of the season, which allowed in the go ahead run. Hey, he’s allowed one bad day, right? All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once, am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed. Why else would you dress up as a flying rat?
Cubs 4, Braves 1: The Braves case of the Mondays continues. They are 0-11 on Monday games in 2012. This is important. This means something. Or maybe it doesn’t. Last night it was merely a function of Jeff Samardzija striking out 11 Bravos in seven innings and Anthony Rizzo homering again.
Twins 6, Tigers 4: Four straight wins for the Twinkies. This one was Ron Gardenhire’s 900th. If they had won this one the Tigers would have gotten back up to .500, but they can’t seem to get any momentum. Jim Leyland closed the clubhouse after the game. I assume that this was so that he could murder some of the underperforming Tigers as a lesson to the survivors.
Royals 11, Blue Jays 3: Mike Moustakas hit a grand slam and drove in five as Ricky Romero got walloped. Joey Bats hit his league-leading 27th, but the Jays dropped their fifth game in the past seven tries.
Pirates 11, Astros 2: The Pirates stay hot. Garrett Jones had four hits and four RBI including a homer. His was back-to-back with a Neil Walker shot. Both of them hit the foul pole. That apparently hasn’t happened on back-to-back homers since they started keeping track of such things in 2000. I’m sure there’s some old guy someplace who will swear he saw it happen in Forbes Field or something, though.
Brewers 6, Marlins 5: The entire Internet spends 24 hours talking about the Zack Greinke snub so Greinke goes out and pitches kinda poorly (6 IP, 6 H, 5 ER). Now today all the La Russa defenders will act like this one game justified the snub. Can’t wait until All-Star season is over. Eh, Greinke probably doesn’t care. Brewers won.
Reds 8, Dodgers 2: Scary moment as Zack Cozart was hit in the head with a Chad Billingsley pitch. In these days of, thankfully, much greater awareness of the seriousness of concussions, someone square these two statements from me:
Zack Cozart: “I think it just got away from him. I don’t even really remember, to be honest. I just remember hearing a pretty loud bang, then I had some ringing in my ears, and that’s why I was on the ground holding my ears”; and
Dusty Baker: “”They gave him all the tests and said that Zack should be OK tomorrow. We took him out more for precautionary reasons. He was a little glossy-eyed, so we decided to get him out of there because he got hit pretty good.”
Instead of “he’ll be alright tomorrow, how about putting him on the 7-day DL just to be sure?
Mariners 6, Orioles 3: Six runs for the M’s at Safeco Field is the equivalent of 22 runs for a normal team in a normal park. Seriously. You can look it up.
Athletics 6, Red Sox 1: Daisuke Matsuzaka lasted one inning in which he gave up five runs on four hits while walking two. Nope, not what the Sox needed. Josh Reddick and Brandon Moss homered for the A’s and Jarrod Parker pitched well again, allowing one run over six and two-thirds. Kid has a 2.46 ERA on the year.
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 0
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 40
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 49
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 29
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)