Jul 3, 2012, 5:17 PM EST
He’s likely to clear waivers because no team wants to take on the remainder of his $5 million salary for this season or $500,000 buyout of a $6.5 million option for next season, although it’s possible the A’s might be able to find a taker via trade if they eat basically all the money.
Fuentes was largely a bust for the A’s after signing a two-year, $10.5 million deal as a free agent, clashing with Bob Geren before the manager was fired and posting a 4.64 ERA in 83 innings overall. He never had traditional closer stuff, instead relying a lot on a deceptive delivery, and at age 36 he may simply be finished as more than a sixth- or seventh-inning guy.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 26
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 75
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (103)