A’s designate former closer Brian Fuentes for assignment

Jul 3, 2012, 5:17 PM EST

Cleveland Indians v Oakland Athletics Getty Images

Three weeks ago Brian Fuentes was Oakland’s closer, but that went terribly before he quickly gave way to rookie Ryan Cook in the role and today the A’s designated Fuentes for assignment.

He’s likely to clear waivers because no team wants to take on the remainder of his $5 million salary for this season or $500,000 buyout of a $6.5 million option for next season, although it’s possible the A’s might be able to find a taker via trade if they eat basically all the money.

Fuentes was largely a bust for the A’s after signing a two-year, $10.5 million deal as a free agent, clashing with Bob Geren before the manager was fired and posting a 4.64 ERA in 83 innings overall. He never had traditional closer stuff, instead relying a lot on a deceptive delivery, and at age 36 he may simply be finished as more than a sixth- or seventh-inning guy.

1. Seimiya - Jul 3, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I was so thrilled about this I actually recovered my password JUST so I could write HOW HAPPY THIS MAKES ME.

Happy Fuendependence Day, Oakland! Oh, what happy memories this day brings us! We are finally free of the worst pitcher ever who’s last name ended in -uentes!

This is the best news I’ve had all day, and I can’t see that changing.

• number42is1 - Jul 3, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I just saved 15% on my car insurance by switching to Geico.

2. scatterbrian - Jul 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Huzzah!

3. pantherpro - Jul 3, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Nobody cares

Go Giants

4. pisano - Jul 4, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Mark this down, it’s not over for him, being a lefty, someone will pick him up.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4907)
  2. M. Kemp (3467)
  3. J. Upton (2561)
  4. J. Kang (2548)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2525)
  1. C. McGehee (2501)