Jul 3, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
He’s likely to clear waivers because no team wants to take on the remainder of his $5 million salary for this season or $500,000 buyout of a $6.5 million option for next season, although it’s possible the A’s might be able to find a taker via trade if they eat basically all the money.
Fuentes was largely a bust for the A’s after signing a two-year, $10.5 million deal as a free agent, clashing with Bob Geren before the manager was fired and posting a 4.64 ERA in 83 innings overall. He never had traditional closer stuff, instead relying a lot on a deceptive delivery, and at age 36 he may simply be finished as more than a sixth- or seventh-inning guy.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)