Jul 3, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
Richard Sandomir of The New York Times lays out the landscape facing Major League Baseball for when its TV rights come up for bid next year. Short version: MLB is gonna make boatloads of money as ESPN, Fox, TBS, maybe CBS and, especially, NBC all look to stay in or get in the live televised baseball business.
Full disclosure: I work for NBC. And I’d squeal like a little girl if NBC got MLB rights.
Seriously, though. Such decisions are way above my pay grade. Even third-hand discussion of such decisions are above my pay grade. Gleeman and I are only permitted to talk about baseball on TV with a six day delay, and only if we know anything, which we don’t, so I can’t intelligently or coherently comment about what NBC may or may not do that I didn’t first read in an article like the linked one here.
But Major League Baseball is my beat, and I can say what having a ton of eager competitors means for the league: a ton of money. Much, much more money than Major League Baseball has ever seen from a national TV deal.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)