Jul 3, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
Duke right-hander Marcus Stroman and the Blue Jays have agreed to a $1.8 million deal that’s the exact slot amount for the No. 22 overall pick, according to Jim Callis of Baseball America.
Baseball America ranked Stroman as the 10th-best player in the draft and ESPN.com rated him 17th, and he’s a very intriguing prospect because his mid-90s fastball comes from a 5-foot-9, 185-pound frame.
He started at Duke and put up huge strikeout totals, but the Blue Jays may be tempted to move him to the bullpen and if that happens Stroman could reach the majors in a hurry.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 15
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)