Jul 3, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
Bryce Harper‘s chances of going to next week’s All-Star Game got a lot better when fellow Final Vote candidate Chipper Jones was named to the team today. Still, he wouldn’t mind missing out and going home to Nevada for a few days.
“I’m excited to go home,” he told the Washington Post. “If I don’t make the team, I think it’d be good for me to go home, get away from the world and be Bryce, be normal, just hang out with the family and get some good home-cooked meals and hit with my pop and just hang out.”
One imagines Harper is thinking about Swag. No, not all of the All-Star goodies he’d miss out on, but the puppy his parents gave him for Christmas that’s still at home in Nevada.
Nationals manager Davey Johnson also said he wouldn’t mind seeing Harper miss out on the game, partly because the 19-year-old has been nursing a sore back. Johnson added that he hasn’t gone to MLB.com to vote for Harper.
“I go online for a lot of things and that’s not one of them,” he said.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 19
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)