Jul 3, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
By pursuing an ultimately unsuccessful trade for Carlos Lee the Dodgers made is obvious that they’re not happy with James Loney‘s production at first base, so when Loney told Don Mattingly that he feels ready to break out offensively the manager was understandably skeptical:
He came into my office and he felt like he’s got it, so we’ll see. He feels good, so we’ll see. He’s confident. He got a couple hits tonight and we’ll leave it there. We’ll see what happens tomorrow. I’ve been through this the last four years with James, so we’ll see where it rolls.
In other words, talk is cheap when you’re a 28-year-old veteran at an offense-driven position with a .425 career slugging percentage.
Arash Markasi of ESPN Los Angeles paints a picture of Mattingly being more or less fed up with talk of Loney’s “confidence level” at the plate, noting that the manager is sick of “answering the same questions about Loney every year” and deadpanned “better ones” when asked what adjustments the first baseman needed to make.
At this point in his career Lee is hardly a sure-fire upgrade over even Loney, but the bigger point is that the Dodgers have been starting one of the least-productive first basemen in the league for five seasons now and finding someone who can top Loney’s measly .404 slugging percentage and .741 OPS during that time shouldn’t be very tough.
In the meantime Loney is making $6.4 million after being paid $4.9 million in 2011 and $3.1 million in 2010. For that $14.4 million the Dodgers have gotten 395 games of a .271 batting average, .329 on-base percentage, and .392 slugging percentage with a total of 24 homers in 1,479 plate appearances.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 12
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)