Chipper Jones is leading the NL Final Vote thing; Bryce Harper third

Jul 3, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

Chipper Jones AP AP

Major League Baseball announced the in-progress Final Vote totals a little while ago and the fans are going with history over the future: Chipper Jones leads the thing with David Freese second and Bryce Harper third.

Can’t really blame this on homer ballot box-stuffing given that, as so many of you remind me when I criticize your team, the Braves have no fans. Maybe David Freese’s second place in the thing can be explained by the St. Louis people, though. The self-proclaimed Best Fans in Baseball tend to show for their own.

Harper? I guess people are figuring that he’ll have his time already. Or, possibly, we’re overestimating how deeply the Bryce Harper: superstar thing goes with the common fans. We baseball writers are gaga over him, but people who don’t follow this stuff have seen Chipper Jones’ name for nearly two decades now, and they may be just voting for established star power.

Now, if someone would groove a pitch to Jones so he can hit a Ripken-style homer in the All-Star Game …

In the American League,  Yu Darvish is leading Jake Peavy, Jason Hammel, Ernesto Frieri and Jonathan Broxton.

1. danandcasey - Jul 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM

IMHO, the NL vote represents fans everywhere tipping their cap to a future hall-of-famer in his last season.

• hasbeen5 - Jul 3, 2012 at 11:46 AM

As it it should be, IMHO.

We all know the game doesn’t mean anything, despite MLBs best efforts. I tend to dislike when fans overlook somebody having a really good season in favor of a star who isn’t, but a Ripken-esque send off for one of the all time greats at his position is OK. And it’s not like he’s been totally unproductive. When he’s in the lineup he can still hit.

• icanspeel - Jul 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Yeah it seems so fitting.. I remember being a young boy getting into baseball and seeing Chipper as a rookie and he has played and played all these years and it is amazing how long he has played and actually stayed pretty consistent.

• gloccamorra - Jul 3, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I totally agree. A future Hall of Famer deserves to make one final appearance in his last year, and I think fans will have more respect for Bryce Harper for having said so publicly.

• jarathen - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:36 PM

That’s what I did. Pushing Frieri in the AL balloting, because let’s be honest, it’s him or Peavy if you’re going on merit, but media sensation Darvish will win.

2. TheNaturalMevs - Jul 3, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Atlanta fans are better fans than Cardinals fans; who are better than Nationals fans.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:48 PM

The Atlanta “chop” and accompanying music is vile, loathsome and disgusting, but this Nats fan looked past that and voted for Chipper. Giving the future HoF’er an All-Star send-off is the right thing to do. Friese also deserves to be there, but barring the unforeseen, he and Harper will surely have their days.

3. stlouis1baseball - Jul 3, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Absolutely! I voted for Larry numerous times.
    As Bryce Harper said…a future Hall of Famer deserves to be elected to the ASG his final season.

4. paperlions - Jul 3, 2012 at 11:54 AM

You know Craig, I’m a little weary of the “self proclaimed best fans in baseball” bit. Can you cite somewhere that demonstrates that Cardinal fans dubbed themselves the best fans in baseball? Growing up there, I never heard such a thing among the fan base, not once. I’ve heard players say it and I’ve heard national media members say it….all long before anyone in StL would have thought of such a thing….much less said it out loud.

• Drew Silva - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:21 PM

You’re kidding yourself.

Baseball's Best Fans

• paperlions - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:24 PM

FSN proclaiming Cardinal fans the best in baseball is still not self proclamation.

I didn’t say that it isn’t said all the time (possibly/probably even by many Cardinal fans now), but the idea that Cardinal fans first called themselves that is not supported by the history of the moniker.

• ajcardsfan - Jul 3, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I’ve heard it before from other Cardinals fans; I don’t claim it myself, I’m proud of my team and that’s all I can say

Also, something I find hilarious; hovered over that photo and saw it was photos under flikr.com/photos/rockchalk almost every KU fan I know is a Royals fan, there are a few that root for both, but Royals come before Cardinals in their book

• Drew Silva - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I guess I don’t know the history of it. But you hear it plenty from Cards fans now.

It doesn’t really matter. The town is enthralled with the team. The fanbase is incredible. And not everyone’s a back-patter.

• paperlions - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Honestly, I’m pretty annoyed with it (and would be even if it were unequivocally true). There are great fans everyone, the title itself is incongruous with the mid-western attitude that permeates the region, which is more courteous and humble than characterized but the braggadocio it embodies.

In short, I wish everyone would stop saying it and more than that I wish everyone would stop acting like the people of StL came up with it themselves (for which I’ve never seen any evidence).

• mattyflex - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I had that phrase sitting all around me in Kauffman two weekends ago.

5. seanthegreatest - Jul 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Dude has had a great farewell tour thus far. Why not include the All-Star game. Maybe the Royals will give him third base as well.

As far as the AL voting, if Ernesto Frieri doesn’t make the team it will be a shame. 36 IP, 1 W, 10 SV, 60 K, 0.75 ERA, 15 K/9. 0 ER in the AL. Peavy is also having a killer season for a guy most assumed was washed up.

6. cur68 - Jul 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Given that Larry’s playing well enough (.291, OPS: .828, WAR: 1.7) and his stature as the best hitting Old Guy in MLB in his final season, why not Larry for the ASG? Makes more sense than Edwin “E5″ Encarnacion NOT being there.

7. dabossditka - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Drew.. Just cause a sign says your the best fans doesn’t mean you are the best fans. Yankees and Red Sox fans are the ultimate fans.

• madhatternalice - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:55 PM

False, if only because baseball’s “best fans” don’t need to go around telling everyone else that they are the best…

• hasbeen5 - Jul 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM

There aren’t many Red Sox fans really. Just a bunch of frat boy morons that became Sox fans right around mid October 2004.

8. natslady - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Nats fans a little handicapped by no power, cellphone or internet service. Can we mail in the ballots? Anyway, Harper probably better off with rest and family time.

• madhatternalice - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:56 PM

For serious. Let him rest his back for a few days. There will be plenty more ASGs.

9. mannyicey - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Chipper needs to go to the Show.

10. thetruth702 - Jul 3, 2012 at 1:31 PM

chipper’s farewell tour. vote gim in. all thevothers have many years left. and ge is playing well. you cant tell me pablo sandoval is playing that good to start or better than chipper ir freese.
    one of the greatest switch hitters to ever live deserves the all star vote in his last season, just like we would for jeter. and ge has NEVER switched teams. name 5 players who have been on a team for more than 8 years

• seanthegreatest - Jul 3, 2012 at 1:51 PM

We are all dumber for reading you remarks. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

• mattyflex - Jul 3, 2012 at 3:56 PM

That’s a tasty response right there, folks.

11. thetruth702 - Jul 3, 2012 at 1:33 PM

lol paperlions… as kelso would say BURN haha

12. thetruth702 - Jul 3, 2012 at 1:34 PM

it isnt just FSN it is in your stadium..

13. sophiethegreatdane - Jul 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM

It’s time they built in one or two extra places on the All Star team for the manager to select an all-time great who will be soon retiring.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4072)