Jul 3, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Major League Baseball announced the in-progress Final Vote totals a little while ago and the fans are going with history over the future: Chipper Jones leads the thing with David Freese second and Bryce Harper third.
Can’t really blame this on homer ballot box-stuffing given that, as so many of you remind me when I criticize your team, the Braves have no fans. Maybe David Freese’s second place in the thing can be explained by the St. Louis people, though. The self-proclaimed Best Fans in Baseball tend to show for their own.
Harper? I guess people are figuring that he’ll have his time already. Or, possibly, we’re overestimating how deeply the Bryce Harper: superstar thing goes with the common fans. We baseball writers are gaga over him, but people who don’t follow this stuff have seen Chipper Jones’ name for nearly two decades now, and they may be just voting for established star power.
Now, if someone would groove a pitch to Jones so he can hit a Ripken-style homer in the All-Star Game …
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (92)