Jul 3, 2012, 11:33 AM EST
Major League Baseball announced the in-progress Final Vote totals a little while ago and the fans are going with history over the future: Chipper Jones leads the thing with David Freese second and Bryce Harper third.
Can’t really blame this on homer ballot box-stuffing given that, as so many of you remind me when I criticize your team, the Braves have no fans. Maybe David Freese’s second place in the thing can be explained by the St. Louis people, though. The self-proclaimed Best Fans in Baseball tend to show for their own.
Harper? I guess people are figuring that he’ll have his time already. Or, possibly, we’re overestimating how deeply the Bryce Harper: superstar thing goes with the common fans. We baseball writers are gaga over him, but people who don’t follow this stuff have seen Chipper Jones’ name for nearly two decades now, and they may be just voting for established star power.
Now, if someone would groove a pitch to Jones so he can hit a Ripken-style homer in the All-Star Game …
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 30
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 39
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (115)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)