Jul 3, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Major League Baseball announced the in-progress Final Vote totals a little while ago and the fans are going with history over the future: Chipper Jones leads the thing with David Freese second and Bryce Harper third.
Can’t really blame this on homer ballot box-stuffing given that, as so many of you remind me when I criticize your team, the Braves have no fans. Maybe David Freese’s second place in the thing can be explained by the St. Louis people, though. The self-proclaimed Best Fans in Baseball tend to show for their own.
Harper? I guess people are figuring that he’ll have his time already. Or, possibly, we’re overestimating how deeply the Bryce Harper: superstar thing goes with the common fans. We baseball writers are gaga over him, but people who don’t follow this stuff have seen Chipper Jones’ name for nearly two decades now, and they may be just voting for established star power.
Now, if someone would groove a pitch to Jones so he can hit a Ripken-style homer in the All-Star Game …
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)