Jul 3, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Major League Baseball announced the in-progress Final Vote totals a little while ago and the fans are going with history over the future: Chipper Jones leads the thing with David Freese second and Bryce Harper third.
Can’t really blame this on homer ballot box-stuffing given that, as so many of you remind me when I criticize your team, the Braves have no fans. Maybe David Freese’s second place in the thing can be explained by the St. Louis people, though. The self-proclaimed Best Fans in Baseball tend to show for their own.
Harper? I guess people are figuring that he’ll have his time already. Or, possibly, we’re overestimating how deeply the Bryce Harper: superstar thing goes with the common fans. We baseball writers are gaga over him, but people who don’t follow this stuff have seen Chipper Jones’ name for nearly two decades now, and they may be just voting for established star power.
Now, if someone would groove a pitch to Jones so he can hit a Ripken-style homer in the All-Star Game …
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)