Jul 3, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Harper said Sunday that he’d vote for Jones because “I think a Hall of Famer should be able to go to the All-Star game his last year.”
Once word of that got back to Jones he texted Harper to say thanks and then had plenty of praise for the 19-year-old rookie, telling Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
That’s a very classy thing for a 19-year-old kid to say. I think he’s going to be in his fair share of All-Star games throughout the years. He’s an unbelievable talent and I just let him know that I appreciated what he said. It was classy.
Players inevitably dropping out due to injuries could mean that there’s room on the NL team for both Harper and Jones, but the other “Final Vote” candidates (Michael Bourn, David Freese, Aaron Hill) seemingly have zero chance to finish higher than third in the balloting.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)