Jul 3, 2012, 4:38 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that Carpenter will undergo season-ending surgery.
Chris Carpenter suffered another setback in his recovery from year-long shoulder problems and now Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the former Cy Young winner and the Cardinals have “discussed a second shutdown and possible season-ending surgery.”
That’s a change from last week, when Carpenter opted against surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome. However, according to Strauss the Cardinals canceled his bullpen session yesterday and there’s no longer a timetable for his return to the mound.
Strauss also notes that manager Mike Matheny and general manager John Mozeliak have remained vague about details surrounding Carpenter’s status, continuing a season-long trend for the Cardinals. At this point it sounds all but guaranteed that Carpenter will need the surgery and six-month recovery, but the question is whether it can wait until after the season. And unfortunately it’s looking more and more like the answer is no.
Carpenter signed a two-year, $21 million contract extension last September, but was shut down in spring training and hasn’t started a big-league game since beating the Rangers in Game 7 of the World Series.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte