Jul 3, 2012, 4:38 PM EST
UPDATE: Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that Carpenter will undergo season-ending surgery.
Chris Carpenter suffered another setback in his recovery from year-long shoulder problems and now Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the former Cy Young winner and the Cardinals have “discussed a second shutdown and possible season-ending surgery.”
That’s a change from last week, when Carpenter opted against surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome. However, according to Strauss the Cardinals canceled his bullpen session yesterday and there’s no longer a timetable for his return to the mound.
Strauss also notes that manager Mike Matheny and general manager John Mozeliak have remained vague about details surrounding Carpenter’s status, continuing a season-long trend for the Cardinals. At this point it sounds all but guaranteed that Carpenter will need the surgery and six-month recovery, but the question is whether it can wait until after the season. And unfortunately it’s looking more and more like the answer is no.
Carpenter signed a two-year, $21 million contract extension last September, but was shut down in spring training and hasn’t started a big-league game since beating the Rangers in Game 7 of the World Series.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 53
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 31
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)