Jul 3, 2012, 4:38 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that Carpenter will undergo season-ending surgery.
Chris Carpenter suffered another setback in his recovery from year-long shoulder problems and now Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the former Cy Young winner and the Cardinals have “discussed a second shutdown and possible season-ending surgery.”
That’s a change from last week, when Carpenter opted against surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome. However, according to Strauss the Cardinals canceled his bullpen session yesterday and there’s no longer a timetable for his return to the mound.
Strauss also notes that manager Mike Matheny and general manager John Mozeliak have remained vague about details surrounding Carpenter’s status, continuing a season-long trend for the Cardinals. At this point it sounds all but guaranteed that Carpenter will need the surgery and six-month recovery, but the question is whether it can wait until after the season. And unfortunately it’s looking more and more like the answer is no.
Carpenter signed a two-year, $21 million contract extension last September, but was shut down in spring training and hasn’t started a big-league game since beating the Rangers in Game 7 of the World Series.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)