Dbacks broadcaster Daron Sutton is still suspended

Jul 3, 2012, 4:01 PM EDT

daron sutton and mark grace

There are guys who started bench-clearing brawls who didn’t get this much time off:

Diamondbacks television play-by-play voice Daron Sutton will remain on suspension for this current home stand, which runs through Sunday.

Senior Vice President of Communications Josh Rawitch said Sutton will not broadcast any of the club’s remaining games heading into the All-Star break. Rawitch declined to say whether Sutton would return following the All-Star break.

One gets the sense that there is more going on here than just the dress code thing we’ve heard about.

1. paul621 - Jul 3, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Are we sure this is really a suspension? Maybe he’s free to come back as soon as he’s willing to abide by the dress code.

• 1chinatown - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM

All I know is Vin Scully wears a coat and tie, as evidenced when he recalls past memories during the 5th or 6th inning. If Darron is trying to mirror class and undoubtedly the best, then good for him. The Diamondbacks could always have a Fox, etc. patch sewed on to his coat.

2. brewcrewfan54 - Jul 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM

He can always wear his suits while he’s sitting at home watching the games or mowing the lawn.

3. snowbirdgothic - Jul 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM

They want him to wear a polo. He wants to wear a suit and tie.

He did not, however, mention anything about pants.

• qcubed3 - Jul 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM

He was probably on his way to return those pants when he slipped in mud, ruining the very pants he was about to return . . .

4. mybrunoblog - Jul 3, 2012 at 5:54 PM

This is really weird. If this is really about a dress code I don’t understand Sutton. Hey dude, boss says you wear a sports shirt then you better wear the sports shirt. Ok? Ok.

5. ufullpj - Jul 3, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Let’s be real, folks. This likely has very little to do with wardrobe, and more to do with multiple incidents of insubordination, or other terminable offenses.

6. litlsaxy - Jul 3, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I just want him back. The games aren’t the same without Sutton! It’s like peanut butter and jelly – Sutton and Gracie! Can’t we just all get along!

• brewcrewfan54 - Jul 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Sutton sucks. Aren’t you tired of hearing stories about his dad all the time?

7. wizzrdofaz - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Personally, I hope he stays gone. First of all, if he wants to wear a suit to a ball game he’s a nerd. One does not wear suits to a ball game. Even the owners and other staff wear D-backs polos.
    Now, as to what the real reason I hope he doesn’t come back is that he sucks. That’s as nicely as I can put it. He’s hard to follow, he jumps around in mid sentence and he’s disrespectful quite often to other teams and players. When Mark Grace works with anyone else but Sutton, it’s a well done game. When Mark works with Sutt…it’s like listening to dumb and dumber do play by play and color. Mark completely changes his style to something quite good when Sutt isn’t there. Greg Schulte is just great, but he prefers to do radio.

And another thing. I know I’m going to get slammed here. I hate to be an English major and or a grammarian here, but Sutton doesn’t know that when he uses a preposition, such as “between, from, or to”, he cannot use the pronoun I. “Between you and I” is just not right. Do we say, “between she and he”? No. Do we say, “to I or to she”, no. Sutt apparently missed out on all the classes in English when he went to school. Our kids listen to this guy. Is it a wonder that they fail English in high school and spend extra time and money in composition in college when they hear him say the words incorrectly all the time?
    I don’t know, he just grates on my last nerve at times.Sorry for the rant.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 5, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Wizz:
      No need to apologize for the rant. That’s what we are here for.
      A couple of things I noticed immediately…
      You call him a “nerd” for wearing a suit to a baseball game.
      Yet…you bust his balls for saying “between you and I.” Hmmmmm…

• sbinsea95 - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I miss him too (and so send him to some grammar training for help with that)

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3133)