Jul 3, 2012, 6:18 PM EDT
Former major league outfielder Elijah Dukes, who has been in and out of trouble for most of his adult life, was arrested Tuesday morning on charges of driving either without a license or with one that was suspended. He was released four hours later.
The booking info suggests another comeback isn’t in the cards for the 28-year-old: he checked in at about 250 pounds on his 6-foot-2 frame.
Dukes looked like a rising young star with the Nationals in 2008, hitting .264/.386/.478 with 13 homers in 276 at-bats. Howver, he disappointed in 2009 and then got released prior to the start of the 2010 season. He later signed with the Newark Bears of the Atlantic League.
Today’s arrest was at least his second of 2012; he was found trying to eat a bag of marijuana back in February.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)