Jul 3, 2012, 6:18 PM EDT
Former major league outfielder Elijah Dukes, who has been in and out of trouble for most of his adult life, was arrested Tuesday morning on charges of driving either without a license or with one that was suspended. He was released four hours later.
The booking info suggests another comeback isn’t in the cards for the 28-year-old: he checked in at about 250 pounds on his 6-foot-2 frame.
Dukes looked like a rising young star with the Nationals in 2008, hitting .264/.386/.478 with 13 homers in 276 at-bats. Howver, he disappointed in 2009 and then got released prior to the start of the 2010 season. He later signed with the Newark Bears of the Atlantic League.
Today’s arrest was at least his second of 2012; he was found trying to eat a bag of marijuana back in February.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 54
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)