Jul 3, 2012, 6:18 PM EDT
Former major league outfielder Elijah Dukes, who has been in and out of trouble for most of his adult life, was arrested Tuesday morning on charges of driving either without a license or with one that was suspended. He was released four hours later.
The booking info suggests another comeback isn’t in the cards for the 28-year-old: he checked in at about 250 pounds on his 6-foot-2 frame.
Dukes looked like a rising young star with the Nationals in 2008, hitting .264/.386/.478 with 13 homers in 276 at-bats. Howver, he disappointed in 2009 and then got released prior to the start of the 2010 season. He later signed with the Newark Bears of the Atlantic League.
Today’s arrest was at least his second of 2012; he was found trying to eat a bag of marijuana back in February.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)