Jul 3, 2012, 6:18 PM EST
Former major league outfielder Elijah Dukes, who has been in and out of trouble for most of his adult life, was arrested Tuesday morning on charges of driving either without a license or with one that was suspended. He was released four hours later.
The booking info suggests another comeback isn’t in the cards for the 28-year-old: he checked in at about 250 pounds on his 6-foot-2 frame.
Dukes looked like a rising young star with the Nationals in 2008, hitting .264/.386/.478 with 13 homers in 276 at-bats. Howver, he disappointed in 2009 and then got released prior to the start of the 2010 season. He later signed with the Newark Bears of the Atlantic League.
Today’s arrest was at least his second of 2012; he was found trying to eat a bag of marijuana back in February.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)