Jul 3, 2012, 6:18 PM EDT
Former major league outfielder Elijah Dukes, who has been in and out of trouble for most of his adult life, was arrested Tuesday morning on charges of driving either without a license or with one that was suspended. He was released four hours later.
The booking info suggests another comeback isn’t in the cards for the 28-year-old: he checked in at about 250 pounds on his 6-foot-2 frame.
Dukes looked like a rising young star with the Nationals in 2008, hitting .264/.386/.478 with 13 homers in 276 at-bats. Howver, he disappointed in 2009 and then got released prior to the start of the 2010 season. He later signed with the Newark Bears of the Atlantic League.
Today’s arrest was at least his second of 2012; he was found trying to eat a bag of marijuana back in February.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (121)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)