Jul 3, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
From beat man Joe Srnith of the Tampa Bay Times comes word that Rays outfielder Matt Joyce is scheduled to participate in minor league rehab games Wednesday and Thursday at Triple-A Durham, and could return to the majors on Friday if all goes smoothly in those back-to-back outings.
Joyce has been on the 15-day disabled list since June 19 because of a strained left oblique muscle.
The 27-year-old was batting .279/.387/.512 with 11 home runs and 34 RBI in 239 plate appearances before the injury.
Tampa Bay entered play Tuesday night with a 42-38 record, ranking tied for third in the five-team AL East.
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 4
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 20
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 88
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)