Jul 3, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
From beat man Joe Srnith of the Tampa Bay Times comes word that Rays outfielder Matt Joyce is scheduled to participate in minor league rehab games Wednesday and Thursday at Triple-A Durham, and could return to the majors on Friday if all goes smoothly in those back-to-back outings.
Joyce has been on the 15-day disabled list since June 19 because of a strained left oblique muscle.
The 27-year-old was batting .279/.387/.512 with 11 home runs and 34 RBI in 239 plate appearances before the injury.
Tampa Bay entered play Tuesday night with a 42-38 record, ranking tied for third in the five-team AL East.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)