Jul 3, 2012, 10:00 PM EST
From beat man Joe Srnith of the Tampa Bay Times comes word that Rays outfielder Matt Joyce is scheduled to participate in minor league rehab games Wednesday and Thursday at Triple-A Durham, and could return to the majors on Friday if all goes smoothly in those back-to-back outings.
Joyce has been on the 15-day disabled list since June 19 because of a strained left oblique muscle.
The 27-year-old was batting .279/.387/.512 with 11 home runs and 34 RBI in 239 plate appearances before the injury.
Tampa Bay entered play Tuesday night with a 42-38 record, ranking tied for third in the five-team AL East.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)