Jul 3, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
From beat man Joe Srnith of the Tampa Bay Times comes word that Rays outfielder Matt Joyce is scheduled to participate in minor league rehab games Wednesday and Thursday at Triple-A Durham, and could return to the majors on Friday if all goes smoothly in those back-to-back outings.
Joyce has been on the 15-day disabled list since June 19 because of a strained left oblique muscle.
The 27-year-old was batting .279/.387/.512 with 11 home runs and 34 RBI in 239 plate appearances before the injury.
Tampa Bay entered play Tuesday night with a 42-38 record, ranking tied for third in the five-team AL East.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)