Jul 3, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Yesterday the Blue Jays designated David Pauley for assignment, meaning the 29-year-old left-hander is back to his familiar home on the waiver wire.
It seems like Pauley has been designated for assignment, claimed, signed, and released about once a week for the past year, so I checked the Rotoworld transaction database to see the reliever’s travel history for the past 12 months.
It’s pretty amazing:
July 30, 2011: Traded from Mariners to Tigers
March 12, 2012: Released by Tigers
March 23, 2012: Signed to minor-league contract by Angels
May 7, 2012: Called up from Triple-A by Angels
May 24, 2012: Designated for assignment by Angels
May 25, 2012: Cleared waivers, assigned to Triple-A by Angels
June 12, 2012: Called up from Triple-A by Angels
June 18, 2012: Designated for assignment by Angels
June 20, 2012: Claimed off waivers by Blue Jays
July 2, 2012: Designated for assignment by Blue Jays
So in a little more than 11 months he’s been on four teams, including the Angels twice. He’s been on waivers three times, passing through unclaimed twice, and has been designated for assignment or outright released four times.
Oh, and Pauley has managed to find time to throw 36 innings with a 6.19 ERA in 24 appearances since the Mariners and Tigers started his travels with a trade last July 30. Pauley’s birthday was June 17. I hope someone bought him some nice luggage.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 29
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 61
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)