Jul 3, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Yesterday the Blue Jays designated David Pauley for assignment, meaning the 29-year-old left-hander is back to his familiar home on the waiver wire.
It seems like Pauley has been designated for assignment, claimed, signed, and released about once a week for the past year, so I checked the Rotoworld transaction database to see the reliever’s travel history for the past 12 months.
It’s pretty amazing:
July 30, 2011: Traded from Mariners to Tigers
March 12, 2012: Released by Tigers
March 23, 2012: Signed to minor-league contract by Angels
May 7, 2012: Called up from Triple-A by Angels
May 24, 2012: Designated for assignment by Angels
May 25, 2012: Cleared waivers, assigned to Triple-A by Angels
June 12, 2012: Called up from Triple-A by Angels
June 18, 2012: Designated for assignment by Angels
June 20, 2012: Claimed off waivers by Blue Jays
July 2, 2012: Designated for assignment by Blue Jays
So in a little more than 11 months he’s been on four teams, including the Angels twice. He’s been on waivers three times, passing through unclaimed twice, and has been designated for assignment or outright released four times.
Oh, and Pauley has managed to find time to throw 36 innings with a 6.19 ERA in 24 appearances since the Mariners and Tigers started his travels with a trade last July 30. Pauley’s birthday was June 17. I hope someone bought him some nice luggage.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 13
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)