Jul 3, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Yesterday the Blue Jays designated David Pauley for assignment, meaning the 29-year-old left-hander is back to his familiar home on the waiver wire.
It seems like Pauley has been designated for assignment, claimed, signed, and released about once a week for the past year, so I checked the Rotoworld transaction database to see the reliever’s travel history for the past 12 months.
It’s pretty amazing:
July 30, 2011: Traded from Mariners to Tigers
March 12, 2012: Released by Tigers
March 23, 2012: Signed to minor-league contract by Angels
May 7, 2012: Called up from Triple-A by Angels
May 24, 2012: Designated for assignment by Angels
May 25, 2012: Cleared waivers, assigned to Triple-A by Angels
June 12, 2012: Called up from Triple-A by Angels
June 18, 2012: Designated for assignment by Angels
June 20, 2012: Claimed off waivers by Blue Jays
July 2, 2012: Designated for assignment by Blue Jays
So in a little more than 11 months he’s been on four teams, including the Angels twice. He’s been on waivers three times, passing through unclaimed twice, and has been designated for assignment or outright released four times.
Oh, and Pauley has managed to find time to throw 36 innings with a 6.19 ERA in 24 appearances since the Mariners and Tigers started his travels with a trade last July 30. Pauley’s birthday was June 17. I hope someone bought him some nice luggage.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 58
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 27
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (104)