Jul 3, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Yesterday the Blue Jays designated David Pauley for assignment, meaning the 29-year-old left-hander is back to his familiar home on the waiver wire.
It seems like Pauley has been designated for assignment, claimed, signed, and released about once a week for the past year, so I checked the Rotoworld transaction database to see the reliever’s travel history for the past 12 months.
It’s pretty amazing:
July 30, 2011: Traded from Mariners to Tigers
March 12, 2012: Released by Tigers
March 23, 2012: Signed to minor-league contract by Angels
May 7, 2012: Called up from Triple-A by Angels
May 24, 2012: Designated for assignment by Angels
May 25, 2012: Cleared waivers, assigned to Triple-A by Angels
June 12, 2012: Called up from Triple-A by Angels
June 18, 2012: Designated for assignment by Angels
June 20, 2012: Claimed off waivers by Blue Jays
July 2, 2012: Designated for assignment by Blue Jays
So in a little more than 11 months he’s been on four teams, including the Angels twice. He’s been on waivers three times, passing through unclaimed twice, and has been designated for assignment or outright released four times.
Oh, and Pauley has managed to find time to throw 36 innings with a 6.19 ERA in 24 appearances since the Mariners and Tigers started his travels with a trade last July 30. Pauley’s birthday was June 17. I hope someone bought him some nice luggage.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 7
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 11
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 10
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)