Jul 3, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Yesterday the Blue Jays designated David Pauley for assignment, meaning the 29-year-old left-hander is back to his familiar home on the waiver wire.
It seems like Pauley has been designated for assignment, claimed, signed, and released about once a week for the past year, so I checked the Rotoworld transaction database to see the reliever’s travel history for the past 12 months.
It’s pretty amazing:
July 30, 2011: Traded from Mariners to Tigers
March 12, 2012: Released by Tigers
March 23, 2012: Signed to minor-league contract by Angels
May 7, 2012: Called up from Triple-A by Angels
May 24, 2012: Designated for assignment by Angels
May 25, 2012: Cleared waivers, assigned to Triple-A by Angels
June 12, 2012: Called up from Triple-A by Angels
June 18, 2012: Designated for assignment by Angels
June 20, 2012: Claimed off waivers by Blue Jays
July 2, 2012: Designated for assignment by Blue Jays
So in a little more than 11 months he’s been on four teams, including the Angels twice. He’s been on waivers three times, passing through unclaimed twice, and has been designated for assignment or outright released four times.
Oh, and Pauley has managed to find time to throw 36 innings with a 6.19 ERA in 24 appearances since the Mariners and Tigers started his travels with a trade last July 30. Pauley’s birthday was June 17. I hope someone bought him some nice luggage.
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 16
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 1
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)