Oh, fun! The Mets may be interested in bringing K-Rod back

Jul 3, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT

NLCS Brewers Cardinals Baseball AP

The Mets could use some bullpen help. The Brewers have two guys who, at various times, have been considered Professional Closers. So why not get the band back together? Ken Davidoff of the Post:

The Mets want to upgrade their bullpen, and the Brewers’ Francisco Rodriguez is on their list of targets, a person familiar with the club’s thinking said yesterday.

Yes, Francisco Rodriguez. As in “K-Rod.” The only major league player, so far, to get arrested at Citi Field.

Davidoff notes, correctly in my view, that it’s not a crazy idea. The Brewers may soon be in sell-mode, the Mets know what they’d be getting in Rodriguez, the asking price would be pretty small and the upside would be pretty big.

That sound you hear is all of the New York sporting press sighing in relief that the low-drama Mets of 2012 may soon get interesting again.

1. sdelmonte - Jul 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Any sports reporter who needs “drama” when covering a team with RA Dickey, Johan Santana, David Wright, a combustible bullpen, the fall and rise of Ike Davis, questionable fielding, surprising success, and the ever-present specter of the Wilpons isn’t trying hard enough.

2. bougin89 - Jul 3, 2012 at 10:05 AM

If the Met’s take on any of K-Rod’s salary this year I’m sure the Brewers would trade him in a heartbeat for next to nothing.

3. muskyhunter2542 - Jul 3, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Im not sure that I wouldnt want to give them Axford before K-Rod

4. mybrunoblog - Jul 3, 2012 at 11:04 AM

K-Rods father in law is cowering under a table somewhere praying this guy doesn’t come back to New York.

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Is a MACE dispenser keychain still illegal in New York, or has some Supreme Court ruling or other taken care of that problem yet?

5. adenzeno - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:10 PM

NOOOOoooo….I was afraid of this- The Mets are close enough to think they can get in and pull a Kazmir for Zambrano type deal….

6. tuftsb - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:23 PM

No, I don’t wanna be handcuffed
    I’m tired of being in love
    No, I don’t wanna be handcuffed
    I’m tired of being in love

7. badintent - Jul 4, 2012 at 12:28 AM

“Mama, I can take it no more. Knock,knock, knocking on Heavens’s door.” K-Rod ‘s father-in-law. IF you put a K-Rod with a A-Rod in a closed, locked room , came back in a week, would you have a KY event ?

A managerial overanalysis epidemic