Jul 3, 2012, 11:46 PM EST
A.J. Pierzynski made his displeasure about being snubbed from Ron Washington’s AL All-Star team perfectly clear, and his teammates were none too pleased either. Tonight, the White Sox exacted a little revenge, drubbing the Rangers 19-2.
It was the Rangers’ most lopsided defeat during Washington’s term at the helm. In fact, they hadn’t lost so badly since the A’s beat them 23-2 in 2000.
Pierzynski hit one of four White Sox homers and finished 3-for-5 with three RBI.
The White Sox’s first three homers all came off Roy Oswalt in the first inning, with Kevin Youkilis, Adam Dunn and Alex Rios going deep. Oswalt ended up allowing 11 runs — nine earned — in 4 2/3 innings in one of the worst outings of his career. Pierzynski’s homer came off Yoshinori Tateyama.
Chris Sale cruised to an easy win for the White Sox, allowing one run in 7 1/3 innings. He’s expected to have his turn skipped Sunday as the team tries to keep his innings total down. As a result, he’ll head into his All-Star appearance 10-2 with a 2.19 ERA.
Pierzynski now has 15 homers on the year. It’s his highest total since 2006 and just three off his career high. With 48 RBI in 69 games, he’s already matched his total his 2011 total in 60 fewer games.
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 0
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 338
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (338)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)