Jul 3, 2012, 11:46 PM EDT
A.J. Pierzynski made his displeasure about being snubbed from Ron Washington’s AL All-Star team perfectly clear, and his teammates were none too pleased either. Tonight, the White Sox exacted a little revenge, drubbing the Rangers 19-2.
It was the Rangers’ most lopsided defeat during Washington’s term at the helm. In fact, they hadn’t lost so badly since the A’s beat them 23-2 in 2000.
Pierzynski hit one of four White Sox homers and finished 3-for-5 with three RBI.
The White Sox’s first three homers all came off Roy Oswalt in the first inning, with Kevin Youkilis, Adam Dunn and Alex Rios going deep. Oswalt ended up allowing 11 runs — nine earned — in 4 2/3 innings in one of the worst outings of his career. Pierzynski’s homer came off Yoshinori Tateyama.
Chris Sale cruised to an easy win for the White Sox, allowing one run in 7 1/3 innings. He’s expected to have his turn skipped Sunday as the team tries to keep his innings total down. As a result, he’ll head into his All-Star appearance 10-2 with a 2.19 ERA.
Pierzynski now has 15 homers on the year. It’s his highest total since 2006 and just three off his career high. With 48 RBI in 69 games, he’s already matched his total his 2011 total in 60 fewer games.
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 0
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 14
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 14
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)