Jul 3, 2012, 11:46 PM EDT
A.J. Pierzynski made his displeasure about being snubbed from Ron Washington’s AL All-Star team perfectly clear, and his teammates were none too pleased either. Tonight, the White Sox exacted a little revenge, drubbing the Rangers 19-2.
It was the Rangers’ most lopsided defeat during Washington’s term at the helm. In fact, they hadn’t lost so badly since the A’s beat them 23-2 in 2000.
Pierzynski hit one of four White Sox homers and finished 3-for-5 with three RBI.
The White Sox’s first three homers all came off Roy Oswalt in the first inning, with Kevin Youkilis, Adam Dunn and Alex Rios going deep. Oswalt ended up allowing 11 runs — nine earned — in 4 2/3 innings in one of the worst outings of his career. Pierzynski’s homer came off Yoshinori Tateyama.
Chris Sale cruised to an easy win for the White Sox, allowing one run in 7 1/3 innings. He’s expected to have his turn skipped Sunday as the team tries to keep his innings total down. As a result, he’ll head into his All-Star appearance 10-2 with a 2.19 ERA.
Pierzynski now has 15 homers on the year. It’s his highest total since 2006 and just three off his career high. With 48 RBI in 69 games, he’s already matched his total his 2011 total in 60 fewer games.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (333)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (160)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)