Jul 3, 2012, 8:57 PM EDT
Giants right-hander Tim Lincecum tossed seven scoreless innings last Wednesday against the Dodgers and limited the A’s to three runs in six innings the week before that. But the optimism built around those two outings has suddenly dissipated.
Lincecum was torched for a career-high eight runs (seven earned) in 3 1/3 innings Tuesday night in the nation’s capital. The Nationals currently lead 8-2.
Lincecum now owns a brutal 6.17 ERA and 1.55 WHIP through 17 starts this season. He has 101 strikeouts in 93 1/3 innings, but those have come alongside a whopping 49 walks.
One wonders if the Giants will skip Timmy’s final turn before the All-Star break to give him an extended period of rest heading into the second half. Something has to be done, because the waiting game has not worked.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)