What exactly goes on at a SABR convention anyway?

Jul 3, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT

sabr42logo

I’ve been on vacation for a week while attending the annual Society for American Baseball Research convention for the ninth consecutive summer.

If you’ve ever wondered what exactly goes on at a SABR convention–and be honest, you probably have several semi-insulting questions–I wrote up a star-studded (Terry Ryan! Jose Mijares! Salvador Perez! Sean Forman!), picture-filled, and booze-drenched recap over at my personal blog:

AaronGleeman.com: 2012 SABR Convention Recap

Admittedly my convention-going experience probably includes a lot more Jameson and a lot less actual SABR than most, but hopefully that paints a decent (and albeit very pasty) picture.

1. cur68 - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Nice. One issue: in “but hopefully that paints a decent (and albeit very pasty) picture” you spelled “decadent” wrong.

2. paperlions - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I think guys that never watch baseball just sit around and talk about how much Brandon Phillips sucks.

• thenoblefacehumper - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Well he’s 5th in WAR among 2nd basemen since 2006 (when he started playing regularly). So I doubt it.

• paperlions - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Did I really need the “/sarcasm”?

Besides, he is clearly far and away the best 2B to ever live, so anything saying he is 5th is obviously a made up inane stat argle bargle. /sarcasm

3. stex52 - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Don’t you know that you can never understand a mano-a-mano game by doing silly numbers? Go run over a catcher or something!! (sarcasm)

4. Jonny 5 - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I imagine waterproofing of basements and wireless routers able to penetrate sub floors are a big conversation piece.

• paperlions - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM

…and cargo shorts….and diet mountain dew.

5. kopy - Jul 3, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Minneapolis is one hell of a town.

6. mattyflex - Jul 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Can you tell me what Mr. Perez had for dinner? Because he’s played 8 games since coming off the DL and he’s got hits in each game and three home runs. My slowpitch tournament this evening depends on your cooperation.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2698)