Jul 3, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
It seems crazy to think about considering how wrecked by injuries the Cardinals have been all season, but they could be on the verge of having too many quality hitters to fit into the lineup.
Lance Berkman is nearing a return from knee surgery and looks likely to come off the disabled list shortly after the All-Star break, so assuming the rest of the Cardinals’ hitters can stay healthy in the meantime manager Mike Matheny will have a decision to make regarding Allen Craig.
Craig has been filling in for Berkman as the Cardinals’ primary first baseman, with Matt Holliday and Carlos Beltran playing the outfield corners and Jon Jay in center field. Matheny could shift Beltran to center field on occasion, opening up right field for Craig, or he could take an even bigger hit defensively by using Craig at second base over the three-headed monster of Daniel Descalso, Tyler Greene, and Skip Schumaker.
Because of Beltran’s legs and Craig’s glove neither of those options are ideal, but when Craig is hitting .322 with 13 homers, 11 doubles, and a 1.046 OPS in 40 games–including two homers last night and four homers in his last 16 at-bats–it’s awfully tough to bench him. He’ll come back down to earth a bit at some point, but Craig has now logged 518 career plate appearances–slightly less than one full season’s worth of playing time–and has hit .300 with 28 homers, 33 doubles, and a .909 OPS.
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 35
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 47
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 27
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)