Jul 4, 2012, 5:45 PM EDT
David Ortiz became the 49th player in big-league history to reach 400 homers when he took Oakland’s A.J. Griffin deep in the fourth inning Wednesday.
It was Ortiz’s 22nd homer of 2012, putting him into a tie for fifth place in the American League. The 36-year-old will be the AL’s starting DH in next week’s All-Star Game.
Ortiz’s Hall of Fame chances appeared next to nil a couple of years ago, but his big resurgence has put him back into the discussion. He has a chance at 500 career homers, and he turned in an outstanding five-year peak from 2003-07 in which he finished in the top-five in the AL MVP balloting every year. He also helped lead the Red Sox to World Series championships in that span.
Of course, there is the steroid taint, even if the only thing that ties him to it is that a couple of lawyers reportedly said his name was on the “anonymous list” of players testing positive in 2003.
Regardless, Ortiz is on pace for a historic season. He’s on pace to become the fifth different player in major league history to hit at least .300 with 40 homers and 100 RBI at 36 or older. Babe Ruth did it twice, Hank Aaron once, Andres Galarraga twice and Barry Bonds three times.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)