Jul 4, 2012, 5:45 PM EDT
David Ortiz became the 49th player in big-league history to reach 400 homers when he took Oakland’s A.J. Griffin deep in the fourth inning Wednesday.
It was Ortiz’s 22nd homer of 2012, putting him into a tie for fifth place in the American League. The 36-year-old will be the AL’s starting DH in next week’s All-Star Game.
Ortiz’s Hall of Fame chances appeared next to nil a couple of years ago, but his big resurgence has put him back into the discussion. He has a chance at 500 career homers, and he turned in an outstanding five-year peak from 2003-07 in which he finished in the top-five in the AL MVP balloting every year. He also helped lead the Red Sox to World Series championships in that span.
Of course, there is the steroid taint, even if the only thing that ties him to it is that a couple of lawyers reportedly said his name was on the “anonymous list” of players testing positive in 2003.
Regardless, Ortiz is on pace for a historic season. He’s on pace to become the fifth different player in major league history to hit at least .300 with 40 homers and 100 RBI at 36 or older. Babe Ruth did it twice, Hank Aaron once, Andres Galarraga twice and Barry Bonds three times.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)