Jul 4, 2012, 10:05 AM EST
Coffey was visited on the mound by the team trainer after complaining of elbow soreness during Monday’s appearance, but stayed in the game and actually struck out the final two batters he faced.
And then an MRI exam showed a partial UCL tear.
This will be the second Tommy John surgery for Coffey, who underwent the operation 12 years ago and went on to throw 439 innings with a 4.10 ERA before his elbow gave out again at age 31.
He’ll likely be sidelined until the middle of next season, which means the Dodgers will almost surely decline their $2.5 million option for 2013 and instead pay Coffey a $300,000 buyout.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (94)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (83)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)