Jul 4, 2012, 10:05 AM EST
Coffey was visited on the mound by the team trainer after complaining of elbow soreness during Monday’s appearance, but stayed in the game and actually struck out the final two batters he faced.
And then an MRI exam showed a partial UCL tear.
This will be the second Tommy John surgery for Coffey, who underwent the operation 12 years ago and went on to throw 439 innings with a 4.10 ERA before his elbow gave out again at age 31.
He’ll likely be sidelined until the middle of next season, which means the Dodgers will almost surely decline their $2.5 million option for 2013 and instead pay Coffey a $300,000 buyout.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (212)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)