Jul 4, 2012, 10:05 AM EDT
Coffey was visited on the mound by the team trainer after complaining of elbow soreness during Monday’s appearance, but stayed in the game and actually struck out the final two batters he faced.
And then an MRI exam showed a partial UCL tear.
This will be the second Tommy John surgery for Coffey, who underwent the operation 12 years ago and went on to throw 439 innings with a 4.10 ERA before his elbow gave out again at age 31.
He’ll likely be sidelined until the middle of next season, which means the Dodgers will almost surely decline their $2.5 million option for 2013 and instead pay Coffey a $300,000 buyout.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 65
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)