Field of Dreams, Louis C.K., Gaby Hoffmann, and stretching the limits of baseball-related

Jul 4, 2012, 11:49 AM EDT

OK, so saying this is related to baseball is admittedly a stretch, but it’s a holiday and I’m working and … well, whatever. Humor me.

I was watching the season premier of Louie last night–I would have watched it earlier, but I was on vacation–and the actress playing his girlfriend looked really familiar, except I couldn’t place her. It turns out her name is Gaby Hoffmann and she’s been in a whole bunch of stuff over the years, but I recognized her from being in Field of Dreams two decades ago … as Kevin Costner’s daughter.

source:

Seriously. Gaby Hoffmann, who played the little daughter in Field of Dreams, played Louis C.K.’s girlfriend on Louie. How is this not a bigger deal?

1. pmcenroe - Jul 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM

yeah I recognized her too but couldn’t place her so I checked IMDB and was shocked when I saw she was Karen. Pretty big age gap between her and CK

2. samu0034 - Jul 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Wow! I thought she looked familiar too. I’m usually pretty good at figuring this sort of thing out, but I never would have gotten this one.

3. Jack Marshall - Jul 4, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Since you ask:

It’s not a big deal because her career has been in the tank for about a decade. Of the major female child stars of her era–Thora Birch, Christina Ricci, and Anna Chlumsky, she was the least interesting, grew up the least remarkable looking, and retained the least of her child-actor charisma. Of the four, only Ricci has sustained a consistent career, but Chlumsky’s back (on HBO’s “VP”), and Birch (“American Beauty”) is both talented and gorgeous, and probably will have some long-term success.

• nixonotis - Jul 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Do you have a vendetta against Gaby Hoffmann? What is this arbitrary “major female child stars of her era” distinction? I guess the jokes on me for responding to your comment, but it was not only the content, but the way in which you wrote it that makes me hate you without having met you.

• yahmule - Jul 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Hey, come on, she grew up to be (in his estimation) the “least remarkable looking” of a group of four female child actors. Can you honestly expect him to let her get away with that?

• frightwig - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM

It’s been 13 years since American Beauty came out. Tick tock, talented and gorgeous Thora Birch.

• zzalapski - Jul 5, 2012 at 1:22 AM

According to her wiki, she took a break to attend and graduate from college, then concentrated on New York theatre before getting back into film acting. I wouldn’t exactly call that a career in the tank, but then again, I don’t tend to be judgmental about female child actresses.

4. yahmule - Jul 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Obviously, humor is subjective, but IMO, Louis C.K. is the best comedian working today.

• nixonotis - Jul 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM

If you don’t like Louie, you don’t like comedy

5. Glenn - Jul 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM

My wife, the movie savant, saw her for two seconds and said, “That’s the little girl from Field of Dreams”. I did a little IMDB research and was fascinated to see that her mother was the actress Viva, an Andy Warhol protegee and first woman of note to have intercourse on screen in one of his movies. Pretty interesting bio for the both of them.

6. badger80 - Jul 4, 2012 at 1:19 PM

There should have been a subplot where she choked on a hot dog.

• oltanya - Jul 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

And got butt cancer.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 5, 2012 at 2:11 AM

NO! Badger, no! With Burt Lancaster having long since died, there would be no one qualified to help her!!

7. Old Gator - Jul 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM

That’s how life is, Craig. Little girls grow up and become legal. Complain all you want. It won’t matter.

8. mornelithe - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:07 PM

She’s also the younger daughter in Uncle Buck.

• nogoodtomedead - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Uncle Buck is rad.

• mornelithe - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Yeah, awesome movie.

9. normswifevera - Jul 4, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I think it surprises people because she looks so much older than she is. She’s 30. As the first comment said, there’s a big age gap (15 years) between her and Louie CK. But it doesn’t come off that way. You don’t watch the episode and think that Louie’s dating a much younger woman.

I have no idea if she always looks that way. But when you see her on the show, even though she looks familiar, you don’t expect her to be who she is. When you’re thinking “Where have I seen this actress in her mid 40’s before?”, the little girl from Field of Dreams doesn’t register as a possibility.

Then when you find out, it’s like “WHUT?”

10. micker716 - Jul 4, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Didn’t she used to play 1B for the Marlins?

A managerial overanalysis epidemic