Jul 4, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Giancarlo Stanton is out of the Marlins’ lineup today for the third straight game because of a knee injury and told Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald that he’s unlikely to return before Friday, putting his status for the All-Star game in some doubt.
Stanton indicated that he’ll skip the All-Star game and the Home Run Derby if he’s not able to return for this weekend’s series versus the Cardinals. For now the Marlins are waiting on the results of an MRI exam.
According to Stanton the injury occurred Monday when he was standing in the outfield: “I was getting my legs and arms ready, just to throw somebody out, anticipating it, and bending my legs it kind of just locked up on me.”
That’s a new one, certainly.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 240
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (240)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)