Quote of the Day: Ozzie Guillen

Jul 4, 2012, 8:56 AM EST

Miami Marlins v Washington Nationals Getty Images

The Marlins came back after being down a zillion runs, then lost in dramatic fashion when Aramis Ramirez walked them off with a homer.  Ozzie Guillen was, understandably, not pleased. And he wants to be sure Heath Bell didn’t get all the blame:

“Make sure Miami people don’t (expletive) Bell. Bell gave up two runs. How about the rest of the (expletives) 10 or 12 runs they scored? That’s why this (expletive) game is not (expletive) fair. It’s Ozzie talking (expletive)? No. It’s Ozzie talking the truth, about how (expletive) we were before that (expletive) inning. Put that (expletive) down!”

“I think that was a very (expletive) big league baseball game, both sides.”

I think it’s better if you imagine every (expletive) to be “poopy.” Or “Castro.”

Never change, Ozzie.

1. henryd3rd - Jul 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM

They knew what you were getting when they brought this man here to manage the Marlins. This is just the beginning. Before long he’ll insult someone else of offend another group of people and the the Marlin brass will be force to re-evaluate this hire.

• samu0034 - Jul 4, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Or they could not give a shit and judge him on his quality in managing the team and motivating his players to win games. Ozzie is entertaining, why do we need everyone to give the same platitudes every time they’re interviewed by the media?

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Exactly that’s what should count… er…umm… so how’s that coming along?

• Old Gator - Jul 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I agree. I especially love to play tapes of la voz de la alcantarilla to my grandchildren. Then we all sit around deleting the expletives. Great family fun!

• paperlions - Jul 4, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Sorry, but if you were really offended by the Castro comment, you are willing to do whatever you can to be offended, including ignoring context, meaning, and intent.

• Old Gator - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Welcome to Macondo…..

• stex52 - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:29 PM

For some perverse reason I’m not as offended by Ozzie as I used to be when he was in Chicago. Maybe I felt that the Castro thing blew up into such an absurdity that it made me more sympathetic. Or maybe that he has been such a caricature of himself for the last couple of months that I just laugh. I’m glad he’s not in Houston, but he certainly has supplied all the color we thought he would.

Sorry, Gator.

• kinger69 - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:30 PM

he has no class

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Henry I have two comments
      1) your an idiot, Ozzie is just what baseball needs. Ozzie balances the Mike Scosias and Terry Collins of the world.
      2) whoever had July 3rd in the Ozzie flips out poll please see the secretary on the way out.
      3) your an idiot

2. samu0034 - Jul 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM

“Guess the profanity” is one of my very favorite games, and Ozzie is one of the very best providers of great quotes for playing this game.

3. bigleagues - Jul 4, 2012 at 9:35 AM

My dad used to tell me to “put that (expletive) down” all the time.

4. natsattack - Jul 4, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Poopy or Castro?

5. chill1184 - Jul 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Never a dull moment with Ozzie at the helm.

• Old Gator - Jul 4, 2012 at 10:33 AM

You could say the same about Joe Hazelwood or Francesco Schettino, couldn’t you?

6. F14TRex.com - Jul 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I know I’m being THAT GUY, but expletives are words that could be removed from a sentence without taking away any meaning. For example, when Ozzie says, “That’s why this f***ing game is not f***ing fair,” he’s using expletives because, if you take them out, it reads, “That’s why this game is not fair.” When he hypothetically asks, “It’s Ozzie talking s***,” that’s not an expletive because it removes an essential piece of meaning from the sentence.

Thumb me down now, thank me later.

• Old Gator - Jul 4, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Thanks for reminding us that there’s a difference between adverbs, adjectives and nouns. Slobbering Ozzie, of course, has created a whole new class of article adjectives as a subset of “expletives.” You’d be surprised at how many on here need that little jog once in awhile to distinguish their parts of speech..

Or maybe you wouldn’t.

• The Rabbit - Jul 4, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Gator, You know that Ozzie isn’t responsible for a new class of descriptives.
        Lenny Bruce and later George Carlin did that for us years ago. Several of Carlin’s classic routines were taking certain expletives and reworking them into other parts of speech.
        While we may lament the decline of vocabulary and the ability to communicate coherently, Ozzie is merely an example and not the cause. (Texting and Twitter may be the final death blow.)
        And…I’m originally from Jersey; therefore, I’m long past even noticing expletives in conversation.

7. Francisco (FC) - Jul 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Yes well laugh at Oz all you want, I’m betting if this were your mayor or your lawyer or heck someone important representing YOUR interests, you’d have a different opinion on him. “Oh look, he curses and talks straight, how entertaining and refreshing.” Great if you’re blogger or sports writer.

Talk about a disgrace… when is Omar retiring so he can get a shot a being a better example as a manager and a person from my mother country?

• Old Gator - Jul 4, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Aww, we don’t think of Ozzie as “representative” of Venezuela. When we need a Venezuelan to look up to, we have Ugueth Urbina.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 4, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Don’t remind me of THAT particular thug.

8. brewcrewfan54 - Jul 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM

In Ozzie’s defense it was a long shitty game by both teams.

• Old Gator - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:03 PM

And as has been the case so often over the past month or so, it was a slightly shittier game by the Feesh.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Yes, that much is certainly correct.

9. djpostl - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM

He’s correct, but if Bell had been anything other than a big shitburger all season (and face it, 5 blown saves in half a season and an ERA of 6.39 for a closer is one HUGE steaming pile of shit) it would be a whole lot easier to join him in that belief.

So his asterisk can only be used this time…once Bell stinks the joint up again in like 2 days it’s on like Donkey Kong.

• djpostl - Jul 8, 2012 at 6:20 PM

So I was wrong. It took another 4 days. Same shitburger result though.

10. ndnut - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:42 PM

“Make sure Miami people don’t poopy Bell. Bell gave up two runs. How about the rest of the poopy 10 or 12 runs they scored? That’s why this poopy game is not poopy fair. It’s Ozzie talking poopy? No. It’s Ozzie talking the truth, about how poopy we were before that poopy inning. Put that poopy down!”

“I think that was a very poopy big league baseball game, both sides.”

11. georgebrett - Jul 5, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Some people forget……

BTW, this didn’t happen just once, but all of the time.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4586)
  2. M. Kemp (3665)
  3. M. Cabrera (2881)
  4. J. Kang (2613)
  5. M. Morse (2580)
  1. J. Upton (2513)
  2. A. Rios (2206)
  3. C. Headley (2171)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2134)
  5. C. McGehee (1955)